Patrick Bond (born 1961, Belfast, Northern Ireland) is professor at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, where he has directed the Centre for Civil Society since 2004. His research interests include political economy, environment, social policy, and geopolitics. From 1994-2002, Patrick worked for the South African government, authoring or editing more than a dozen policy papers including the Reconstruction and Development Programme (RDP) and the RDP White Paper. He has also taught at the University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management from 1997-2004. Bond gave the keynote lecture at the Leeds University Centre for African Studies (LUCAS) conference on 'Democratization in Africa: Retrospective and Future Prospects' at Leeds University in December 2009.
Bond is an advisory board member of several international journals: Socialist Register (York University), International Journal of Health Services (Johns Hopkins School of Public Health), Historical Materialism, Journal of Peacebuilding and Development (American University), Studies in Political Economy (Carleton University), Capitalism Nature Socialism, Review of African Political Economy, and the Journal of Human Development and Capabilities (Unesco, New York). He worked with Johannesburg NGOs during the early and mid-1990s, and several social justice agencies in Washington and Philadelphia during the 1980s. He was educated at Swarthmore College Department of Economics, the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania, and the Johns Hopkins University Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering where he received his Ph.D. in 1993.
Bond is also a member of the International Organization for a Participatory Society of which he anticipates "immense learning and activist opportunities".
Will economists Stiglitz and Yunus add to debate on crisis? (2009) Published in Pambazuka News
Lessons of Zimbabwe: An exchange between Patrick Bond and Mahmood Mamdani (2008) Published in Links
- Bond, P and Sharife, K (2009) Africa battles aid and development finance, in Abbas, H and Niyiragira, Y (eds.)Aid to Africa: Redeemer or Colonizer?, Oxford: Pambazuka Press 
- Bond, P (2008) A Pilhagem na África. Rio de Janeiro: South Links
- Bond, P. (2008), Social movements and corporations: social responsibility in post-Apartheid South Africa, Development and Change, 39, 6.
- Bond, P. (2008). Macrodynamics of globalization, uneven urban development and the commodification of water, Law, Social Justice and Global Development, 10, 2, 
- Bond, P. (2008), Global uneven development, primitive accumulation and political-economic conflict in Africa: the return of the theory of imperialism, Journal of Peacebuilding and Development, 4, 1, 23-37.
- Bond, P. (2008). Collaborations, co-optations and contestations in praxis-based knowledge production, Review of African Political Economy, 116, pp. 89–93.
- Bond, P. (2008) Post-imperialist north-south financial relations?, Studies in Political Economy, 81, 77-97.
- Bond, P. (2008), Reformist reforms, non-reformist reforms and global justice: activist, NGO and intellectual challenges in the World Social Forum. Societies without Borders, 3, 4-19.
- Bond, P. and J.Dugard (2008), The Case of Johannesburg Water: what really happened at the pre-paid parish pump. Law, Democracy and Development, 12, 1, pp. 1–28.
- Bond, P. (2008), Water, human rights and social conflict: South African experiences’ (with Jackie Dugard). Law, Social Justice and Global Development, 10, 1, February, 
- Bond, P. (2008), Decentralization, privatization and countervailing popular pressure: South African water commodification and decommodification, in V.Beard, F.Miraftab, and C.Silver (eds), Decentralization and Planning: Contested Spaces for Public Action in the Global South, London, Taylor and Francis, pp. 36–54. More
- Bond, P. (2008), Fra fiktive til reelle losninger pa klimaendringene, in H.Jundeberg (Ed), Klima for ny oljepolitikk, Oslo, Norad and Attac, pp. 42–48.
- Bond, P. and G.Erion (2008), Against carbon trading as climate change mitigation, in D.McDonald (ed), Electric capitalism, Pretoria, Human Sciences Research Council, pp. 339–358.
- Bond, P. and M.Ndlovu (2008). Ideology and strategies in the fight against multinational corporate water privatization, in S.Jin (ed), Ideas and strategies in the alterglobalisation movements, Korea Research Foundation, Korean Federation of Public Service and Transportation Workers Union and Gyeongsang University Institute for Social Sciences (Jinju), Seoul, pp. 201–259.
- Bond, P, R Dada and G Erion (eds) (2007) Climate Change, Carbon Trading and Civil Society: Negative Returns on South African Investments. Amsterdam, Rozenberg Publishers, and Pietermaritzburg, University of KwaZulu-Natal Press 2007. (190 pp).
- Center for Civil Society Patrick Bond profile
- Democratization in Africa Conference - Keynote Speaker
- University of KwaZulu-Natal Patrick Bond profile
- "International Organization for a Participatory Society: Consultative Committee". International Organization for a Participatory Society. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "International Organization for a Participatory Society: Testimonials". International Organization for a Participatory Society. Retrieved 23 April 2012.