Patrick O. Brown
|Patrick O. Brown|
Pat Brown (Photo: Jane Gitschier)
|Born||1954 (age 59–60)
|Alma mater||University of Chicago|
|Thesis||Studies on DNA Topoisomerases (1980)|
|Doctoral advisor||Nicholas Cozzarelli|
|Known for||DNA microarrays
Public Library of Science
|Notable awards||NAS Award in Molecular Biology (2000)
Takeda award (2002)
Brown received his Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine degrees from the University of Chicago, and received his Ph.D. in 1980 on DNA Topoisomerases while under the guidance of Nicholas R. Cozzarelli, also at the University of Chicago.
Following his PhD, Brown did his postdoctoral research with J. Michael Bishop and Harold Varmus at University of California, San Francisco. His research uses DNA microarrays to study the gene expression patterns associated with especially cancer. He became an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in 1988, and was elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences in 2002, identifying him as one of the top 2000 scientists in the nation. He is also a member of the Institute of Medicine and a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
In 2002, he received a Takeda award, recognizing his work in "the development of DNA microarrays with pre-synthesized DNA probes and the promotion of the technology by releasing the production methods on the Internet."
In recognition of Dr. Brown's pioneering work in the development of microarrays, and the diverse applications of this technology in genetic research the Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF) selected him for the ABRF 2010 Award.
- Schena, M.; Shalon, D.; Davis, R. W.; Brown, P. O. (1995). "Quantitative Monitoring of Gene Expression Patterns with a Complementary DNA Microarray". Science 270 (5235): 467–470. doi:10.1126/science.270.5235.467. PMID 7569999.
- Eisen, M.; Spellman, P.; Brown, P.; Botstein, D. (1998). "Cluster analysis and display of genome-wide expression patterns". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95 (25): 14863–14868. doi:10.1073/pnas.95.25.14863. PMC 24541. PMID 9843981.
- Brown, P. O. (2013). "An interview with Patrick O Brown on the origins and future of open access". BMC Biology 11: 33–110. doi:10.1186/1741-7007-11-33. PMC 3626920. PMID 23587113.
- "HHMI Bio". HHMI. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Takeda Award 2002 Achievements Fact Sheet" (Press release). Takeda Foundation. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- Eichler, Evan (2006). "Introductory Speech for Patrick O. Brown* * Previously presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics, in Salt Lake City, on October 29, 2005". The American Journal of Human Genetics 79 (3): 427–428. doi:10.1086/500330. PMC 1559547. PMID 16909379.
- Roberts, R. J.; Varmus, H. E.; Ashburner, M.; Brown, P. O.; Eisen, M. B.; Khosla, C.; Kirschner, M.; Nusse, R.; Scott, M. (2001). "Information Access: Building A GenBank of the Published Literature". Science 291 (5512): 2318a. doi:10.1126/science.1060273.
|This article about an American biochemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|