Kevin Burke of Patrick Street in 2007
|Genres||Irish folk, folk|
|Associated acts||The Bothy Band
The House Band
|Past members||Mícheál Ó Domhnaill
Patrick Street is an Irish folk group founded by Kevin Burke (formerly of The Bothy Band) on fiddle, Andy Irvine (Sweeney's Men, Planxty) on mandolin, bouzouki, harmonica and vocals, Jackie Daly (De Dannan) on button accordion, and Arty McGlynn (Van Morrison) on guitar.
Other members were added at various times: Ged Foley (The House Band, Battlefield Band) who held the tenure on guitar for many years, Bill Whelan on keyboards, Declan Masterson on uilleann pipes and keyboards, James Kelly on fiddle, Brendan Hearty on harmonium and John Carty on fiddle, flute and banjo.
Dónal Lunny, Whelan and Enda Walsh joined as producers on some albums.
In 1985, Andy Irvine joined up with fiddler Kevin Burke and guitarist Mícheál Ó Domhnaill (who had been gigging together around America for some time) and toured as a trio in the USA; when Ó Domhnaill wasn't available for some of the dates, guitarist/vocalist Gerry O'Beirne stepped in.:34–35
Originally billed on a 1986 American tour as "The Legends of Irish Music", they soon chose to call themselves Patrick Street.:34 The line-up for the band underwent several changes, but always included Burke, Irvine and Daly.
The guitar role, however, passed:
- from O'Beirne to Arty McGlynn – before the recording of their first album, Patrick Street, which began in August 1986;
- from McGlynn to Ged Foley – after the band recorded their fourth album, All in Good Time, released in 1993;
- back to McGlynn – when they resumed touring after the completion of their ninth album, On the Fly, released in 2007.
Originally agreed to as a part-time band, they have nevertheless recorded eight studio albums together, plus one live album (Live from Patrick Street) and two compilations (The Best of Patrick Street and Compendium: The Best of Patrick Street).
Music for a Found Harmonium
- Patrick Street (1986)
- No. 2 Patrick Street (1988)
- Irish Times (1990)
- All in Good Time (1993)
- Cornerboys (1996)
- Made in Cork (1997)
- Street Life (2002)
- On the Fly (2007)
- Live from Patrick Street (1999)
- Street Cred, in Folk Roots No.66, December 1988.
- Andy Irvine's autobiography – Part 10. Retrieved on 26 March 2015
- Sleeve notes from Patrick Street, Green Linnet SIF 1071, 1986.
- Sleeve notes from The Best of Patrick Street, NECTAR NTMCD503, 1995.
- Patrick Street – On the Fly, Loftus Music LM002, 2007.
- Sleeve notes from Patrick Street – On the Fly, Loftus Music LM002, 2007.
- Patrick Street and MFI at Hands Up For Trad website Retrieved on 26 March 2015
- Patrick Street 'Artist page' at Green Linnet website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Patrick Street at Adastra website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Patrick Street at Herschel Freeman Agency website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Patrick Street at Celtic Cafe website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Patrick Street catalogue at MusicBrainz website Retrieved on 16 March 2015.
- Patrick Street at The Shamrock Traditional Irish Music Society website Retrieved on 15 December 2007
- Patrick Street concert promotion at Dublinks website Retrieved on 15 December 2007.
- Kevin Burke - Official website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Andy Irvine - Official website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Jackie Daly's biography at Kanturk Arts website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Arty McGlynn's biography at Tara Music website Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- Ged Foley - Official website Retrieved on 7 November 2009.