||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (November 2012)|
|Patrick Okedinachi Utomi|
|Professor Lagos Business School|
|Born||February 6, 1956|
Patrick Okedinachi Utomi (born February 6, 1956) is a Nigerian professor of political economy and management expert, He is a Fellow of the Institute of Management Consultants of Nigeria and a former presidential candidate, with a passion for the dignity of the human person and the spirit of enterprise. He is the founder of Centre for Value in Leadership (CVL) and the African Democratic Congress party. He is a professor at Lagos Business School, He has served in senior positions in government, as an adviser to the president of Nigeria, the private sector, as Chief Operating Officer for Volkswagen of Nigeria and in academia.
Patrick Utomi was born in Kaduna he hails from Ibussa in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State. He had his primary education at St. Thomas, Kano 1960-62; Our Lady of Fatima, Gusau 1962-1966; Christ the King College, Onitsha and Loyola College, Ibadan, finishing his secondary education at the age of 15. The entry age for university education was 17, so he enrolled at the Federal School of Arts and Science in the interim. He later got admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1973 to study Mass Communication. Patrick utomi graduated from university of Nigeria Nsuka in 1977, He attended Bloomington, USA, where he got his Ph.D. MPA, MA. Appointed professor of the Social and Political Economy Environment of Business and Pioneer Entrepreneurship Teacher at Lagos Business School in 2003. he has been a scholar-in-residence at the Harvard Business School and the American University in Washington, D.C.
Within a few months of his return to Nigeria from Bloomington, United States, where he did graduate work, Pat got enlisted by the former vice-president Alex Ekwueme to provide consultancy on some public policy papers. Soon after, he was appointed Special Assistant by former president Shehu Shagari a position he lost following the military coup of December 1983, which terminated the Second Republic .
Following the demise of the Second Republic, he became chairman/chief executive officer, Utomapp Holdings Limited, 1984–86,and assistant general manager, corporate affairs, Volkswagen of Nigeria Limited, Lagos, 1983-93.
He was scholar-in-residence, American University, Washington DC, USA, 1996 and research associate, the Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 1996. (Lagos Business school started operating in 1991.)
He coordinated the establishment of several civil society groups on good governance and accountability such as Transparency in Nigeria, the Centre for Values in Leadership, the Concerned Professionals, and the Restoration Group. In the business sphere, Utomi was the vice-chairman, Platinum–Habib Bank. He is a columnist, and chairman, BusinessDay Media Limited and creator of Patito’s Gang, a television talk show.
He has served on the key apex private sector associations including the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), the National Council of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, and the Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA). He is active on the international speaking circuit, especially on the subjects of growth economics, comparative development, leadership, oil and China’s economic surge and growing influence in Africa. He has collaborated frequently with the center for strategic and international studies (CSIS) in Washington, and Chatham House, in the UK. He has also written commissioned papers for the UKs DFID including the latest collaboration with Colleagues from Oxford on the Political Economy of growth in Nigeria. (2006).
Utomi also ran a failed attempt for presidency of Nigeria in 2011.
Honors and awards
- Nominated and voted by the Public as one of Nigeria’s top ten Living Legends in the Vanguard/Silverbird Television Awards.
- Great Nigeria Lives of the 20th Century;
- who is who in Africa
- who is who in Nigeria
- Vanguard Newspaper Nominated Entrepreneur of the year 1999.
- Voted by Several Chapters of the Jaycees as young person of the year in 1987.
- Named Societal Role Model in pioneer awards by the Nigerian Tribune in 2001
- Loyola Old Boys Association National Merit Award Winner 1998.
- Honored with Distinguished Alumnus Award and Alumni Ambassador by the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
Books and selected publications
- Utomi P., Nigeria as an Economic Power House, Can it be Achieved in Robert P Rothberg (ed) Crafting the New Nigeria – Confronting the Challenges. Lynne Rienner Publishers Boulder Co. 2004 pg 125 – 138
- Utomi P. Nigeria “Changes as Prospects” in the Africa Competitiveness Report (ed) Jeffrey Sachs, World Economic Forum 2000
- Utomi P, Performance under Constraints. The Nigeria Press Under Military Rule. Gazette Vol 28 1982
- Utomi P, Historical – Philosophical Foundations of Government Ownership of Newspapers in Nigeria. Gazette vol 27 no 1 1981
- Utomi P, Values and Economic Stagnation in Africa: A Paradox of Poverty in Nigeria. The International Journal of African Studies Vol. 3.2. Spring 2004
- Utomi P, Managing Uncertainty: Competition and Strategy in Emerging Economies. Ibadan. Spectrum Books 1998
- Utomi P, To Serve is to Live. Ibadan. Spectrum Books, 1999
- Utomi P, Critical Perspectives in Political Economy and Management, Ibadan. Spectrum Books, 2000
- Utomi P, Why Nations are Poor, Lagos. Business Day Books 2006
- Utomi P, Business Angel as a Missionary, London. Makeway Press, 2010
- Utomi P, Conscience: Opinions in the Struggle for Nation Building, Lagos Patike Book 1999
- Utomi P, Perspectives: Further Thoughts in the Quest for National Rebirth Patike Books, 2000.
- Edited Volumes of Interview with Pat Utomi. Golden Thoughts compiled by Godfrey Obioma Intec Press 2004.
- In the words of Pat Utomi edited by Uju Onyechere, Lagos. Benson Edwards Publications, 2003
- Pat Utomi: A Purpose driven life: Interviews of Pat Utomi by Godfrey Obioma
- The Duty to Lead: An article by Pat Utomi
Keynote speaker at the Annual Conferences of the following:
- Nigerian Institute of Management
- Nigeria Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (4 times)
- Nigeria Institute of Public Relations
- Nigeria Institute of Marketing
- Law Society, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife
- "Nigeria’s economy is in crisis - Utomi". Tribune.com.ng. 2012-08-12. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- ":: Our Activities". Corpgovnigeria.org. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Pat Utomi – Entreprenuer & Social Activist". Financial Freedom Inspiration. 1956-02-06. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- profile. "Mr Patrick Utomi | Who's Who Profile". Africa Confidential. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Channels Television - Nigeria's Award Winning Television Station". 10 November 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
The challenging health conditions in areas affected by the flood disaster should be the critical emphasis of policy makers as the floods begin to recede. This was the call made by the founder of the Centre for Values in Leadership (CVL), Prof. Pat Utomi, at the presentation of relief materials to officials of Delta State Government at St Patrick’s College, at the Asaba camp for displaced persons.
- "Lagos Business School - Milestones". Lbs.edu.ng. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Fashola, Utomi, others seek action on entrepreneurship education". Guardiannewsngr.com. 2012-09-27. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Oct 04 (1956-02-06). "Pat Utomi – 50 Greatest Nigerians of All Time? (Video) :: Naija's Most Incredible". Naijasmostincredible.com. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Of national awards and falling integrity". Tribune.com.ng. 2012-10-16. Retrieved 2012-11-24.