Patriotic Union (Liechtenstein)
|Preceded by||Christian-Social People's Party
Liechtenstein Homeland Service
|European affiliation||European Democrat Union|
|Politics of Liechtenstein
Together with the Progressive Citizens' Party (FBP), also a centre-right party, the VU dominates the politics of Liechtenstein. The VU is the more liberal of the two parties, advocating constitutional monarchy and greater democracy.
While the VP was the larger party, following the merger it was members of the LHD who took prominent positions in the leadership of the new party.
After decades of being the second party to the FBP, the VU became the largest party in the Landtag for the first time as a result of the 1970 elections. Although it lost the 1974 elections to the FBP, it won the 1978 elections and retained its Landtag majority until February 1993. However, early elections in October 1993 saw it regain its majority, which it held until 2001. After winning the 2009 elections the party lost the 2013 elections to the FBP.
- "Vaterländische Union". e-archiv.li (in German). Liechtenstein National Archives. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Parties and Elections in Europe: The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck
- Day, Alan John (2002). Political parties of the world. London: John Harper. p. 302. ISBN 978-0-9536278-7-5.
- "Parties in Liechtenstein 1921-1943". Prince and People: Liechtenstein Civics (in German). School Office of the Principality of Liechtenstein. 2007. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- (German) Official website
|This article about a political party from Liechtenstein is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|