Patrolled By Radar
|Patrolled By Radar|
|Origin||Los Angeles, CA, USA|
|Members||Jay Souza: songwriter, lead vocals, acoustic guitar, blues harp
Bosco Sheff: lead guitar, slide guitar, backing vocals
Ben Johnsen: drums, backing vocals
Preston Mann: organ, piano, accordion
Patrolled By Radar is a roots-rock quartet based in Los Angeles. The band blends alt-country, blues and soul with "equal parts British invasion, cow-punk and Americana ... songwriting respected as craft." "Patrolled By Radar (PBR) is a band surely making a name for them self [sic] by being honest in their rhythms and passionate in their words." "Jay Souza's full of character, melodic, yet rough around the edges vocals are perfectly suited to the music on these tremendously well written songs."
After dismantling his group 50 Cent Haircut, which had been an institution in the US southwest for over a decade and performed over 1000 shows, folksinger and songsmith Souza formed PBR in 2010 alongside lead guitarist and longtime band mate Bosco Sheff, both of whom are from Boston, Massachusetts.
Shortly thereafter they were joined by drummer Ben Johnsen, a veteran of the New York City music scene and Hackensack, New Jersey native. Hailing from Paisley, Scotland, sound postproduction Emmy-winner Preston Mann joined the group on Hammond Organ and piano.
Managed for their first two years by Knitting Factory Entertainment CEO, Morgan Margolis, they released their debut full-length recording, "Be Happy", in June 2011, on Knitting Factory Records. Recorded and mixed by Grammy-nominated producer Peter Curry of the group Los Straitjackets, the record received high marks and stellar reviews. On that momentum, they toured in direct support of Grammy winners Los Lonely Boys, playing to capacity audiences in concert theaters throughout the Pacific Northwest and Midwest. A review of their performance at The Wilma Theater in Missoula, Montana, described PBR as "classic heartland rock and roll, providing an old school Bob Dylan and The Band vibe."
In 2013, the group independently released a full-length studio record of unique covers titled "Cards, Gifts & Caskets Vol. 1". They have finished a full-length original record titled "Cool Your Jets", set for release early 2014. Both were produced by Peter Curry.
"With a timeless narrative style" PBR is a consummate bar band in the 1970s Pub Rock tradition and have collectively played with Porter Wagoner, Marty Stuart, Taj Mahal, Dave Davies Kinks Chronicles, The Jayhawks, Tim Finn and Richard Thompson, Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs, and The Gourds.
- Cool Your Jets, early 2014
- Cards, Gifts, & Caskets Vol 1, 2012
- Be Happy, June 2011, Knitting Factory Records
- "Album: Patrolled By Radar, "Be Happy"". SoundSpike. June 20, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "Souza, who still pulls a regular shift as a bartender, has concocted an intoxicating elixir of equal parts British invasion, cow punk and Americana. … This is songwriting respected as craft, no doubt a pile of crumpled lyric sheets left in its wake."
- "Patrolled by Radar, L.A.'s Americana pub-rockers, sign to Knitting Factory and ready 'Be Happy'". No Depression. April 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "2011 CD Reviews". American Roots UK. August 1, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "On the strength of this tremendous album I may well be delving in to their back catalogue to see how their sound developed into this mainly alt. country, but with more besides, mix of roots music."
- "Patrolled By Radar: Be Happy Review". The Grateful Web. May 3, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "Patrolled By Radar is a band surely making a name for them self by being honest in their rhythms and passionate in their words."
- "2011 CD Reviews". American Roots UK. August 1, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "Jay Souza’s full of character, melodic, yet rough around the edges vocals are perfectly suited to the music on these tremendously well written songs, in fact at times his vocal inflections are similar in some ways to Mark Bolans!"
- ""Normal" 50 cent Haircut - Live at the Pitcher House". Dailymotion. January 15, 2005. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "Americana Roots Rock Quintet, 50 cent Haircut, performs live at the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach CA on January 15th 2005"
- "High Adventure Management Showcase". 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2011-05-19. "High Adventure Management handles the careers of emerging and critically acclaimed recording artists both in the U.S. and overseas. It is the West Coast artist management wing of Knitting Factory Entertainment...."
- "Live Reviews". 2012-04-04. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "…classic heartland rock and roll, providing an old school Bob Dylan and The Band vibe"
- "PATROLLED BY RADAR presents their first covers record!". 2012.
- "Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs + Patrolled by Radar". Time Out New York. 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2011-05-19. "The English garage-rock doyenne..."
- "CD Review: Patrolled By Radar Want You To "Be Happy"". Record Journal. 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "A mixture of Bob Dylan lyrics with Ray Davies passion, add a dash of Johnny Cash swagger and throw in a Wilco-type musical journey and you have Patrolled By Radar."
- "PATROLLED BY RADAR READIES 'BE HAPPY' ON KNITTING FACTORY RECORDS, OUT ON JUNE 7". Music Industry News Network. 04-06-2011. Retrieved 2011-05-19. "LOS ANGELES, CA — Patrolled by Radar’s Be Happy is an album of original songs penned by singer-songwriter Jay Souza. ... Be Happy is the band’s debut CD on Knitting Factory Records through RED Distribution, set for worldwide release on June 7, 2011"