Its aim appeared to be to:
- Bring together pattern summaries from many authors.
- Provide a platform for discussion and further exploration of the interconnections between them.
- It was a Design Pattern metabase
- Several orthogonal dimensions of categories
- Automatic interlinking, through standard templates that embody its structural inferences
- Multiple contributing websites
In 2007 Pattern Share was taken offline. Reports indicate that the Patterns and Practices team at Microsoft felt that time was better spent integrating P&P principles into re-usable code libraries, as opposed to devoting resources to direct developer education.