Patti Moreno, born in New York City, is an independent film producer and television personality best known for her work as Garden Girl on the hit web video series Garden Girl TV. Living and working in Boston, Patti publishes the hit website and e-newsletter Urban Sustainable Living and is in the process of writing a book based on these concepts. Her goal is to pioneer the idea of gardening in small or urban environments, and to inspire and educate people everywhere to grow their own organic food and live sustainably. She is also the co-host of Growing a Greener World, author for Fine Gardening, and gardening expert for HGTV.
Moreno graduated from Boston University with a degree in film and video production. In 1997, she produced her first film, Squeeze, which was written and directed by her husband, Robert Patton-Spruill. Moreno went on to produce Spruill's next two films, Turntable (2005) and Public Enemy: Welcome to the Terrordome (2008), a documentary on the rap group Public Enemy, and co-produced Do It Again (2010), a documentary about a Boston Globe reporter's quest to reunite the classic rock band The Kinks.
After the birth of her daughter in 1996, Moreno was 70 pounds overweight and used gardening as a way to get back in shape. Having just moved into a new home in Roxbury, Massachusetts, Moreno developed gardening methods for an urban environment instead of maintaining a lawn, incorporating the ideas of container gardening, vertical gardening, and Square foot gardening to get the most results from the least space. Moreno refined her technique and called it "urban sustainable living". This concept covers all aspects of urban farming, from planting and maintaining crops to raising small livestock.
She combined her film background with her gardening skills to lay the groundwork for her website, Garden Girl TV, on which she posted short, how-to videos on urban gardening methods. Her videos touch not only on gardening, but also on cooking, water gardens, aquaculture, crafts and livestock.
In 2007, Moreno filmed the first season of Garden Girl TV. She has since made over 200 videos, and released two feature-length gardening DVDs – Square Foot Gardening (2010) and Urban Sustainable Living (2008). Patti is currently shooting the first season of a new TV series Gardening By Cuisine (2012), producing videos for HGTV.com and HGTVpro.com, and she is writing a book on urban sustainable living to accompany the series.
- Hempel, Carlene http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-17048234.html The Boston Globe. "Green Acres (In Roxbury)" August 17, 2008
- Growing a Greener Worldhttp://www.blueridgepbs.org/html/program/GGW/growing.htm Blue Ridge PBS, American Public Television
- Fine Gardening Magazine http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/videos/plant-fall-asian-garden.aspx Garden Girl TV, 2009
- HGTV.com http://www.hgtv.com/the-edible-garden/package/index.html The Edible Garden 2010
- Arch Daily http://www.archdaily.com/51994/urban-sustainable-living-a-lecture-by-patti-moreno/ Urban Sustainable Living: A Lecture By Patti Moreno March 6, 2010