Paul Barnett (video game designer)
15 January 1970
|Residence||Fairfax, Virginia, USA|
|Other names||That Barnett Bloke|
|Years active||1 January 2006-present|
|Known for||Game designer|
|Notable work(s)||Warhammer Online|
Paul Barnett is an English game designer who is currently the General Manager of Mythic Entertainment, a division of Electronics Arts. Barnett had a lead role in developing Electronic Arts Warhammer Online MMO in Europe.
At the age of 24, Barnett started developing his first text-based game, Legends of Terris, which he finished after three years. At the time, it was the largest text-based game in Europe. After this, Barnett worked on other games, including Legends of Cosrin and Kingdom of Heroes. Legends of Terris was launched on AOL in the UK in 1995, and in the US in 1996. AOL described the game as "[their] first real interactive game."
In the past, Barnett has given interviews on behalf of Mythic and EA at events including E3, Penny Arcade Expo, Comic-Con International, and Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany. He has also been interviewed by Giant Bomb, MTV, G4, GameSpy, PC Gamer, Joystiq, and Ten Ton Hammer.
In February 2008, Paul Barnett gave a talk at the European LIFT 08 conference. This talk was the highest watched video of the show, gaining over 50,000 views within 48 hours as listed on LIFT star videos. His talks also received coverage in business media. BusinessWeek writer Matt Vella described it as "one of the most non-geek accessible I’ve ever heard" and praised its accomplishment of "smartly analogiz[ing] the games industry to both films and Las Vegas without being heavy handed."
Barnett was invited to Penny Arcade Expo East 2010 to speak on a panel regarding the MMORPG industry and its future. The panel included other industry members such as Curt Schilling of 38 Studios, Bob Ferrari of Sanrio Digital, and Craig Alexander of Turbine, Inc.
- Long, Amanda (27 May 2011). "First Person Singular: Paul Barnett, creative director of a video-game company". Washington Post. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Matt Martin (16 September 2008). "Mythic: EA "know nothing about launching MMOs in Europe"". GamesIndustry.biz. Eurogamer Network Ltd. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Phil Elliott (27 March 2009). "New online platforms are "another golden age"". GamesIndustry.biz. Eurogamer Network Ltd. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Terris Goes Online With AOL
- Oli Welsh (16 September 2008). "Warhammer Online's Paul Barnett". EuroGamer.net. Eurogamer Network Ltd. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Warhammer Online interview
- MTV Interview
- Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: The Empire (PC
- Ten Ton Hammer
- 19 Minutes 45 Seconds Worth Sitting Still For
- Paul Barnett's Top 10 Games of 2010.
- "Paul Barnett Humbled By Cataclysm". Onrpg.com. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- Schuster, Shawn (4 June 2009). "E3 2009: APB gets the Paul Barnett hype treatment". Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- Horner, Kyle (26 May 2009). "Paul Barnett interviewed at length on Land of the Dead". Massively. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- Parkin, Simon (1 August 2008). "Mythic's Barnett: The Top 11 Lessons From Warhammer Online". Gamasutra. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- (September 18, 2008.) "Warhammer game's online release". BBC News. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul Barnett.|
- Washington Post Magazine Interview
- Background and biographical information from The Online Games Company's website
- Paul Barnett's Myspace page
- A video of Paul Barnett speaking at E3 2006 about Warhammer Online.
- Paul Barnett's speech at LIFT08 about MMO's, movies, Las Vegas, and golf.
- Interview with Jeff Hickman, Producer of Warhammer Online, on G4TV interview by Morgan Webb.
- The MMO Report, G4TV Paul gives a creative tour of Mythic.
- Ten Ton Hammer, at Comic-Con International reviews Paul's presentation, video included.
- MMORPG, interview by Managing Editor Jon Wood about Paul's 2009 GDC talk, video included.