Paul Black (English footballer)
Black playing for Barrow in 2008
|Full name||Paul Michael Black|
|Date of birth||18 January 1990|
|Place of birth||Middleton, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2008–2009||→ Barrow (loan)||7||(2)|
|2013||→ Carlisle United (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:07, 3 December 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Black was a product of the Manchester City FC's youth system before joining Oldham Athletic and becoming a regular in the starting eleven during the 2006–07 season, becoming a captain for the youth squad. In November 2007, he was included in the senior team for the first time but was not used as a substitute in a 2–2 draw versus Doncaster Rovers—his first professional contract. On 16 January 2008, Black signed a two-and-a-half year contract with Oldham Athletic. His first appearance came on 29 March 2008 as he came on in the 76th minute as a substitute during a 4–1 rout of Huddersfield Town.
He joined Barrow A.F.C. on a one-month loan deal on 22 August 2008, though it was later extended until 5 January 2009. However, he rejoined Oldham on 1 January 2009, becoming a first team regular under manager Dave Penney during the latter half of the 2009–10 season. The following season he continued to hold down a regular place under new manager Paul Dickov, starting most of Oldham's league matches in the left back position, and being offered a new contract in May 2011
Unfortunately, after a similar start to the 2011–12 season, injury kept him out from the end of August until November. He won his place back, but a further injury in February took him out of the picture, and on 27 April 2012, Black was informed that he would not be offered a new contract at the end of the season. He left the club having made over 100 appearances and scoring once.
He signed for Tranmere Rovers on a 1 year deal on 5 July 2012, just in time for pre season training.
On 22 May 2013, Black signed for Mansfield Town. On 9 August 2013 he joined Carlisle United on a months loan. At the end of the 13/14 season he was released by Mansfield, having made only one appearance for the club (as a late FA Cup substitute).
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Youngsters get senior call". Oldham Athletic AFC. 9 November 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- Vose, Stu (10 November 2007). "OLDHAM ATHLETIC 2–2 Doncaster Rovers". Oldham Athletic AFC. Retrieved 5 April 2008.
- "Ideal present for Black". Oldham Athletic AFC. 16 January 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- Vose, Stu (29 March 2008). "OLDHAM ATHLETIC 4–1 Huddersfield Town". Oldham Athletic AFC. Retrieved 5 April 2008.
- "One in, one out for the Bluebirds". BBC Sport. 22 August 2008. Retrieved 23 August 2008.
- "Black extends Bluebirds loan stay". BBC Sport. 2 September 2008. Retrieved 12 September 2008.
- "Lactics offer new contracts". Sky Sports. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Stags sign full back Black". Mansfield Town Official Site. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Mansfield defender Paul Black joins Carlisle United for a month". BBC Sport. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul Black (English footballer).|