Paul Bowman (rugby league)
|Bowman in 2007|
|Full name||Paul Jenkins Bowman|
24 January 1976 |
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||98 kg (15 st 6 lb)|
|1995–07||North Qld. Cowboys||203||62||1||0||202|
|Source: NRL Stats and Yesterdays Hero|
Paul Bowman (born 24 January 1976 in Newcastle, New South Wales) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 1990s and 2000s. He spent five years as regular Queensland State of Origin centre and played his entire club career at the North Queensland Cowboys of the National Rugby League whom he also captained. He is the current Cowboys' assistant coach.
With 203 games, Bowman has played the most games for the Cowboys and was the last player from the Cowboys' inaugural season to be still playing for the club in 2007. Renowned as one of the best defensive centres in the competition, Bowman has also represented Queensland in the State of Origin competition twelve times since 2000. He scored two tries in game III of the 2003 Origin series
Bowman captained the Cowboy's between 2001 and 2004. In game 1 of the 2003 State of Origin series Bowman suffered medial ligament and cartilage damage to his left knee in an awkward tackle that would see him sidelined for four weeks. Remarkably however, despite being unable to walk, he stayed on the field as long as possible, still managing to make several tackles before getting a chance to leave the field.
In 2007, the Cowboys announced that the Cowboy of the Year award would be renamed the Paul Bowman Award.
- First Grade Debut: 1995, Round 16, Cowboys v South Sydney Rabbitohs at Aussie Stadium, 15 July
- Runners-up: 2005, member of the Cowboy's team defeated by the Wests Tigers in the 2005 Grand Final
Awards and honours
- 1999: North Queensland Cowboys Player of the Year
- 2000: North Queensland Cowboys Player of the Year
- 2005: North Queensland Player's Player of the Year
- 2006: North Queensland Cowboys Life Membership (Bowman was the first person to be awarded life membership of the North Queensland Cowboys)
- "Bear marks time" 20 June 2007 The Townsville Bulletin
- Balym, Todd; Galvin, Ben (26 May 2008). "Cowboys name Paul Bowman as assistant coach". Herald Sun. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- Honours at cowboys.com.au
- "Bowman Puts Name to Whitsunday Medal". Queensland Rugby League. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 16 November 2007.
- "Bowman flags retirement plans". Fox Sports news (Australia). 4 July 2007. Retrieved 16 November 2007.