Paul Butler (bishop)
|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Durham|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Durham|
|Installed||22 February 2014|
|Other posts||Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham (2010 - 2014)
Bishop of Southampton (2004–2009)
|Consecration||24 June 2004|
|Born||18 September 1955|
|Alma mater||University of Nottingham|
Paul Roger Butler (born 18 September 1955) is the current Bishop of Durham in the Diocese of Durham. His election was confirmed on 20 January 2014 and he was installed and enthroned in Durham Cathedral on 22 February 2014. On 12 September 2013 it was announced that he had been appointed as Bishop-designate of Durham (succeeding Justin Welby.) He was previously Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham. He was installed at Southwell Minster on 27 February 2010. He was previously Bishop suffragan of Southampton in the Diocese of Winchester, where he served from 2004 until 2010.
Butler was educated at Kingston Grammar School and received a BA in English and history with honours from Nottingham University in 1977. He worked for the Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship (UCCF) in their Bookstall Service (1978–1980) before training for the ministry at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford from 1980–1983. He served his curacy between 1983 and 1987 at All Saints with Holy Trinity in Wandsworth in the Diocese of Southwark. He then moved to Scripture Union to become Inner London Evangelist, holding this post until 1992. Between 1992 and 1994 he was Deputy Head of Mission at Scripture Union. Between 1987 and 1994, he was also a non-stipendiary minister at St Paul's East Ham in the Diocese of Chelmsford.
Butler then moved to the Diocese of Chelmsford. Between 1994 and 1997 he was priest-in-charge of St. Mary's Church, Walthamstow with St Stephen's and St Luke's, becoming Team Rector of Walthamstow in 1997 until 2004. He was also Area Dean of Waltham Forest from 2000 to 2004 and was appointed an honorary canon of Byumba in Rwanda in 2001. He was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, at St Paul's Cathedral on 24 June 2004 and then installed at Winchester Cathedral on 4 July 2004. As well as being the Bishop of Southampton from 2004, Butler also acts as an "Advocate for Children" amongst the bishops of the Church of England and as chairman of the Churches National Safeguarding Committee.
Butler is known for his annual "prayer-walks" in which he spends a week each year walking round a part of his diocese praying with local people.
He was a trustee of the Church Mission Society from 2000 to 2010 and its chairman from 2008 to 2010. He regularly visits Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda, and visited Natal, South Africa in January 2011 as part of a diocesan visit.
He has also served the YMCA at Forest (1995–2004), Southampton (2004–09), Nottingham (2010–13), Teesdale (2014-present).
In 2012 he was appointed President of Scripture Union, the charity he had worked for from 1987 to 1994.
He has a number of publications, including Reaching Children (1992), Reaching Families (1995) (both Scripture Union); Temptation & Testing (SPCK, 2007) and is a contributor to Through the Eyes of a Child (Church House 2009). His most recent publication is Living Your Confirmation (SPCK, 2012).
Titles and styles
- Paul Butler Esq (1955–1983)
- The Revd Paul Butler (1983–2001)
- The Revd Canon Paul Butler (2001–2004)
- The Rt Revd Paul Butler (2004—present)
- BBC News — New bishop appointed
- Diocese of Winchester — About Bishop Paul
- "Election of Paul Butler as 74th Bishop of Durham confirmed in service". Northern Echo. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Downing Street announces that the next Bishop of Durham is to be Paul Butler (Accessed 12 September 2013)
- CMS article on appointment to Southwell and Nottingham
- Bishop of Willesden announces Bishop Paul's new post on Twitter
- Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham Press Release — Drummers and dancers to welcome new Bishop
- BBC News reports on Bishop Paul's appointment
- Bishop Paul Butler speech to General Synod 2013 as Chair of the Churches National Safeguarding Committee
- Bishop Paul Butler Prayer Walk in Southwell Diocese 2013
- Number 10 – Suffragan See of Southampton (archived)
- Bishop Paul Butler Natal Visit – blog 
- Bishop Paul Butler president of Scripture Union
- Scargill Movement Patrons
- The Ear Foundation