||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
William Paul Colton (born 13 March 1960) is the Church of Ireland's Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross. He is now perhaps best known for being the priest who officiated at the wedding of footballer David Beckham and Spice girl Victoria Adams on 4 July 1999 at the medieval Luttrellstown Castle on the outskirts of Dublin.
He attended St Luke's National School, Douglas, Cork, Cork Grammar School and Ashton Comprehensive School, Cork before being awarded a scholarship to the Lester B Pearson College of the Pacific, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada where he completed the International Baccalaureate in 1978. He studied law at University College, Cork (part of the National University of Ireland) and Theology at Trinity College, Dublin. In 1987 he completed the degree of Master in Philosophy (Ecumenics) at Trinity College, Dublin and a Master of Laws at Cardiff University in 2006. In 2013 he completed, and was conferred with, a PhD in Law also at Cardiff University.
He was consecrated bishop at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, on Thursday 25 March 1999—the Feast of the Annunciation. He was enthroned in St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, Cork on 24 April 1999, in St Colman's Cathedral, Cloyne on 13 May 1999, and in St. Fachtna's Cathedral, Ross on 28 May 1999. In September 2010 Bishop Colton was invested as a Senior Chaplain in the Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem at a ceremony in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.
He is a supporter of Manchester United Football Club and is keenly interested in hockey and rugby, as well as reading and classical music. He was also a member of St. Fin Barre's Cathedral Scout Troop, the 2nd Cork, Scouting Ireland S.A.I. (now Scouting Ireland).
- Curate of Lisburn St. Paul (Connor) 1984 - 1987
- Bishop's Domestic Chaplain (Connor) 1985 - 1990
- Vicar Choral Belfast Cathedral (St. Anne) 1987 - 1990
- Minor Canon Belfast Cathedral ( St. Anne) 1989 - 1990
- Incumbent of Castleknock and Mulhuddart with Clonsilla (Dublin) 1990 - 1999
- Priest Vicar, Registrar and Chapter Clerk of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin 1990 - 1995
- Rural Dean of St. Mary's ( Dublin) 1994 - 1999
- Canon of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin 1997 - 1999
- Chairman Connor Youth Council 1986 - 1990
- Member of Interchurch Marriages Preparation Course 1991 - 1998
- Co-ordinator of Religious Programmes involving the Protestant Churches at Raidió Teilifís Éireann 1993 - 1999
- Hon. Chaplain, Actors Church Union 1994 ~ 1997 Area Chaplain (Ireland) 1996 - 1997
- Member of Central Committee, Conference of European Churches 1992 - 1997
- Church of Ireland Representative at the Porvoo Conversations and Porvoo Communion Contact Group 1989 - 1999
- Secretary of the Church of Ireland General Synod 1999
- Research Associate at the Centre for Law and Religion, Cardiff Law School, Cardiff University, 2006
- Member of the General Committee of the Ecclesiastical Law Society, 2006
- Ecclesiastical Commander, Military and Hospitaller Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem
- "Wedded Spice". BBC. (5 July 1999) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/07/99/the_posh_wedding/385866.stm. Check date values in:
- The Right Reverend Paul Colton B.C.L., Dip.Th., M.Phil., LL.M (Retrieved 3rd July 2011) http://www.cork.anglican.org/people/bishopsbiog.html