Paul Conroy (journalist)
Paul Conroy (born 1964) is a British freelance photographer and filmmaker who works in the British media. A former soldier with the Royal Artillery between 1980 and 1987, he has since worked extensively as a journalist in combat zones. producing footage from conflicts in the Balkans, the Middle East and Libya. In 2011 he was shortlisted for the PRX Bayeux TV report along with Marie Colvin, the war correspondent with The Sunday Times.
On 22 February 2012 during the Syrian uprising, Conroy was injured while covering events from the Syrian city of Homs, a stronghold of Syrian opposition forces, after the building where he and other journalists were based was shelled by Syrian government forces. Marie Colvin and French photojournalist Remi Ochlik were killed in the attack, while Conroy was injured along with another journalist, French reporter Edith Bouvier of Le Figaro. Conroy suffered leg injuries in the attack and was subsequently smuggled out of the city and across the Syrian border to Lebanon.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy described the killing of Colvin and Ochlik as assassination. It is believed possible the journalists were targeted. The editor of The Sunday Times said he believed his reporter had been targeted. Conroy later described the situation in Homs as an "indiscriminate massacre" and "slaughter" and compared it the Battle of Grozny during the First Chechen War. Suspicion, however, has fallen on the deaths of reporters in Syria that have been attributed to the Syrian Army. Channel 4 News chief correspondent Alex Thomson has claimed that Syrian rebels tried to lead him and his colleagues into a trap so they would be killed by government forces, to discredit the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
- باباعمرو إصابة صحفيين أجانب بشظايا 22-2-2012 on YouTube
- "2 Journalists Are Among Scores Dead in Syrian Shelling". New York Times. 22 February 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Journalist Paul Conroy 'in good spirits' after Syria rescue". The Independent (Independent Print Ltd). 28 February 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Syrians 'targeted journalists'". Times LIVE (News International). 23 February 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- Whitaker, Brian (2 March 2012). "Syria: Red Cross barred from Baba Amr". The Guardian (Guardian Media Group). Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Channel 4 news reporter says he was 'deliberately set up to be shot'". The Daily Mail. 7 June 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Paul Conroy at ReflexTV