||This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (July 2013)|
Paul Copan (born September 26, 1962) is a Christian theologian, analytic philosopher, apologist, and author. He is currently a professor at the Palm Beach Atlantic University and holds the endowed Pledger Family Chair of Philosophy and Ethics. He has written and edited over 25 books in the area of philosophy of religion, apologetics, theology, science & religion, and the historicity of Jesus Christ. He has contributed many articles to professional journals and has written many essays for edited books. For six years he served as the president of the Evangelical Philosophical Society.
Paul Copan's father, Valery Copan, is of Ukrainian origin, and his mother, Valtraut (Kirsch) Copan, was born in Riga, Latvia. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio and then moved to Connecticut as a teenager.
Copan is married to Jacqueline Mariette (van Tol) Copan, the daughter of Dutch parents, and they have six children.
- Ph.D., Marquette University (Philosophy)
- M.Div., Trinity International University (Divinity)
- M.A., Trinity International University (Philosophy of Religion)
- B.A., Columbia International University (Biblical Studies)
- Society of Christian Philosophers, 1986–present.
- Evangelical Theological Society, 1995–present.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society, 1997–present.
- Society of Biblical Literature (and American Academy of Religion), 1999–present.
- American Catholic Philosophical Association, 1999–present.
- American Philosophical Association, 2002–present.
- Holy War in the Bible: Christian Morality and an Old Testament Problem. (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2013.)
- The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Religion. (2nd edn.: London: Routledge, 2013.)
- Come Let Us Reason: New Essays in Christian Apologetics. (Nashville: B&H Academic, 2012.)
- Contending With Christianity's Critics: Answering New Atheists & Other Objectors. (Nashville: B&H Academic, 2019.)
- Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God. (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2011.)
- When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics. (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.)
- Loving Wisdom: Christian Philosophy of Religion. (St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2007)
- What Is Truth? Series edited by Danielle DuRant. (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2007.)
- "How do you know you're not wrong?": Responding to Objections that Leave Christians Speechless. (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005).
- (Co-authored with William Lane Craig), Creation ex Nihilo: A Biblical, Philosophical, and Scientific Exploration (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 2004).
- "That’s Just Your Interpretation": Responding to Skeptics Who Challenge Your Faith (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001)
- True for You, But Not for Me: Overcoming Objections to Christian Faith (Minneapolis: Bethany House, 2009).
- Board of Contributors, Christian Research Journal, 2006–present.
- Staley Series Lecturer, 2001–present.
- Salvo Magazine: Board of Editorial Advisors 2000–present.
- Editorial reviewer, Philosophia Christi
- Former board member of PEER Servants
- International Institute for Christian Studies: Member, Board of Advisors