Paul Davis (Kansas politician)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 46th district
|Preceded by||Troy Findley|
July 12, 1972 |
Woodland, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Kansas, Lawrence
|Religion||United Church of Christ|
Paul Davis (born July 12, 1972) is an American politician and lawyer.
Davis has served in the Kansas House of Representatives since 2003. He served as the Policy Chair for the House Democratic Caucus for three years and was elected House Democratic Leader in 2008. He represents the 46th House District, which covers eastern Lawrence, Kansas.
Davis attended Lawrence public schools and graduated from Lawrence High School. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Kansas, Davis went on to obtain a Juris Doctor from Washburn University School of Law. He currently practices law with the firm of Fagan, Emert & Davis, LLC in Lawrence. He and his wife Stephanie, who works as a psychologist, have one daughter, Caroline.
As leader of the House Democratic caucus, Davis serves on the State Finance Council, Calendar and Printing Committee, Interstate Cooperation Committee, and the Legislative Coordinating Council. He also serves on the House Insurance Committee. Davis is in charge of organizing activities of the caucus, streamlining legislative business, and uniting members on both sides of the aisle to accomplish goals for Kansas.
Prior to his service in the Kansas Legislature, Davis worked as Assistant Director of Government Affairs for former Insurance Commissioner Kathleen Sebelius. He also worked as the Legislative and Ethics Counsel to the Kansas Bar Association and served as President of the Health Care Access Clinic Board of Directors and Vice President of the Arc of Douglas County Board of Directors. Paul is a graduate of Leadership Lawrence and a former member of the Leadership Lawrence Advisory Board.
Davis is running for governor in 2014 against the incumbent, Republican Sam Brownback and Libertarian Party candidate, Keen Umbehr. Upon announcing his candidacy, Davis stated, "As Kansans, we believe we have a moral obligation to educate our children, reward hard work, build a strong middle class and cooperate with one another. These values are what make us Kansans." Davis's bid has been endorsed by over 100 Kansas Republican politicians. The organization Republicans for Kansas Values stated that their primary reason for the endorsement was not to elect a Democrat, but to defeat incumbent Governor Sam Brownback.
Davis's answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 National Political Awareness Test are available. In the test Davis listed his legislative priorities as "Comprehensive energy policy that focuses on wind development and other renewable sources, Health care reform that improves the accessibility and affordability of health insurance, Tax reform that closes loopholes and provides a more fair tax structure."
- Legislative Budget (Ranking Member)
- Calendar and Printing
- H 2218 Healthy workplace act; abusive workplace environments. 02/04/2009
- H 5003 Kansas constitutional amendment; equal rights; no discrimination based on sex. 01/23/2009
- H 5007 Joint session for hearing message of supreme court. 02/13/2009
- H 5014 Expanded rail service; Kansas City to Fort Worth, Texas; congratulating Kansas Department of Transportation and others; urging action. 03/17/2009
The top 5 donors to Davis's 2008 campaign:
- 1. Kansans for Lifesaving Cures $750
- 2. Kansas National Education Assoc $750
- 3. Fincher, Douglas C $500
- 4. Kansas Assoc of Realtors $500
- 5. Hillsdale Shopping Center LLP $500
- Kansas legislators Past and Present-Paul Davis
- AP (September 17, 2013). "Democrat Paul Davis enters Kansas governor race". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Carpenter, Tim (15 July 2014). "More than 100 GOP politicians endorse Democrat Davis for governor". The Topeka Capital-Journal. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Lazar, Alex (15 July 2014). "Over 100 Republicans Back Democratic Candidate For Kansas Governor". Huffington Post. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 National Political Awareness Test, votesmart.org; accessed February 14, 2014.
- Kansas Legislature - Bills Introduced by Member
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
- Paul Davis for Governor
- Kansas Legislature - Paul Davis
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Paul Davis at Ballotpedia
- Campaign contributions at Follow the Money
- Kansas Votes profile
|Party political offices|
|Democratic nominee for Governor of Kansas