Paul Davis (Kansas politician)
|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 46th district
July 12, 1972 |
|Alma mater||University of Kansas, Washburn University|
|Religion||United Church of Christ|
Rep. Paul Davis has served in the Kansas House of Representatives since 2003. Paul served as the Policy Chair for the House Democratic Caucus for three years and was elected House Democratic Leader in 2008. He represents the 46th House District, which covers eastern Lawrence.
Paul is a lifelong Lawrence resident. He attended Lawrence Public Schools and graduated from Lawrence High School. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Kansas, Davis went on to obtain a Juris Doctor from Washburn University School of Law. He currently practices law with the firm of Fagan, Emert & Davis, LLC in Lawrence. He resides with his wife, Stephanie, who works as a psychologist, and their daughter, Caroline.
As leader of the House Democratic caucus, Paul serves on the State Finance Council, Calendar and Printing Committee, Interstate Cooperation Committee, and the Legislative Coordinating Council. He also serves on the House Insurance Committee. Representative Davis is in charge of organizing activities of the caucus, streamlining legislative business, and uniting members on both sides of the aisle to accomplish goals for Kansas.
Prior to his service in the Kansas Legislature, Davis worked as Assistant Director of Government Affairs for former Insurance Commissioner Kathleen Sebelius. He also worked as the Legislative and Ethics Counsel to the Kansas Bar Association and served as President of the Health Care Access Clinic Board of Directors and Vice President of the Arc of Douglas County Board of Directors. Paul is a graduate of Leadership Lawrence and a former member of the Leadership Lawrence Advisory Board.
Issue positions 
Davis' answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 National Political Awareness Test are available.
In the test Davis listed his legislative priorities as "Comprehensive energy policy that focuses on wind development and other renewable sources, Health care reform that improves the accessibility and affordability of health insurance, Tax reform that closes loopholes and provides a more fair tax structure."
Committee membership 
- Legislative Budget (Ranking Member)
- Calendar and Printing
Sponsored legislation 
- H 2218 Healthy workplace act; abusive workplace environments. 02/04/2009
- H 5003 Kansas constitutional amendment; equal rights; no discrimination based on sex. 01/23/2009
- H 5007 Joint session for hearing message of supreme court. 02/13/2009
- H 5014 Expanded rail service; Kansas City to Fort Worth, Texas; congratulating Kansas Department of Transportation and others; urging action. 03/17/2009
Major donors 
The top 5 donors to Davis' 2008 campaign:
- 1. Kansans for Lifesaving Cures $750
- 2. Kansas National Education Assoc $750
- 3. Fincher, Douglas C $500
- 4. Kansas Assoc of Realtors $500
- 5. Hillsdale Shopping Center LLP $500
- Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 National Political Awareness Test
- Kansas Legislature - Bills Introduced by Member
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
- Kansas Legislature - Paul Davis
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- Follow the Money campaign contributions: