Paul Dolan (baseball)
|Paul Dolan (baseball)|
|Born||Paul Joseph Dolan
MLB Team Owner/Executive
Paul Joseph Dolan (born 1959 in Chardon, Ohio), is an attorney and Major League Baseball (MLB) team executive who is currently part-owner, chairman, and chief executive officer (CEO) of the Cleveland Indians. Dolan is also the "control person" for the team, as designated by MLB through a vote of team owners.
Dolan was born and raised in the Cleveland, Ohio suburb of Chardon, as one of six chlidren of Larry and Eva Dolan. Dolan attended high school at the Gilmour Academy in Gates Mills, Ohio, and upon graduation attended college at St. Lawrence University, and upon graduation went on to earn his law degree at Notre Dame Law School in 1983.
After graduating from law school, Dolan was hired as an attorney for his father's law firm (Thrasher, Dinsmore, and Dolan), eventually becoming a partner in 1992.
In 2000, Larry Dolan purchased the Cleveland Indians baseball team. Upon his father taking control of the team, Dolan was hired as a vice president and general counsel. In 2004, Dolan was promoted to team president, and in 2011 promoted again to chairman/CEO.
In 2013, Dolan was approved by the team owners of MLB as the "control person" of the Indians; the Associated Press describes this new role as "controlling owner". This new designation means that Dolan oversees the day to day team operations, and is responsible for compliance with MLB rules and regulations.
Though officially listed as Chairman/CEO by the team, Dolan is sometimes referred to as an owner of the Indians, as the team is considered to be a family asset due to being purchased through various Dolan Family trusts.
- "Details of Dolan Family ownership". Sports Business Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- "Indians front office". Cleveland Indians. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Bastian, Jordan (January 10, 2013). "CEO Dolan approved as Indians' control person". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 12, 2014. "On Thursday, Major League owners voted during a quarterly ownership meeting to formally approve the designation of chairman/CEO Paul Dolan as the 'control person' for the Cleveland Indians, Commissioner Bud Selig announced."
- "Dolan named Indians "Controlling Owner"". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Dolan bio". Business Week. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Dolan named Indians "Control Person"". WKRK-FM. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Indians owner defends recent trades". ESPN. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- "Pluto interviews Dolan". Cleveland Plain Dealer. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- "Indians draft Dolan". Lorain Morning Journal. Retrieved 2014-06-08.