Paul G. Socken
Paul G. Socken (born 1945) is a professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and a leading scholar on the work of French-Canadian author Gabrielle Roy. He is also the founder of the department of Jewish Studies at the University of Waterloo.
Socken holds a B.A. and a Ph.d. (1974) from the University of Toronto. He is a specialist in French-Canadian literature, particularly in the novel. He has done research on the thematic and stylistic aspects of Gabrielle Roy's writing and currently publishes in the area of mythology and French-Canadian literature.
- Intimate Strangers (2004)
- Gabrielle Roy Today / Gabrielle Roy aujourd'hui (2003)
- The French They Never Taught You (with José Binamé) (2002, ISBN 1-55130-214-4)
- Patrimoines: La Francophonie en Amérique du nord (with P.H. Dubé and Ann Dubé) (1992)
- The Myth of the Lost Paradise in the Novels of Jacques Poulin (1993)
- Concordance de Bonheur d'occasion de Gabrielle Roy (1982)
- Myth and Morality in Alexandre Chenevert by G. Roy (1987)
Chapters/Articles in Books
- "Gabrielle Roy: An Annotated Bibliography" The Annotated Bibliography of Canada's Major Authors (1979)
Selected Professional and Community Affiliations
- Association of Quebec and Canadian Studies
- Association of Canadian Studies in the United States
- Association française d'études canadiennes