Paul Graham (photographer)
|Known for||Fine art photography|
Paul Graham (born 1956) is an English fine-art photographer whose work has been exhibited, published and collected internationally. In 2009, he won the Deutsche Börse Photography Prize. He is also a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellow (1983), and a Guggenheim Fellow (2010). In 2012 he received the Hasselblad Foundation International Award in Photography, and the Paris Photo prize for the best photographic book of the past 15 years.
Life and career
Graham has been a prolific and well published artist, including two survey monographs, by SteidlMack (2009) and Phaidon (1996), along with 10 other publications. One book, Empty Heaven, is devoted to Japan, another A Shimmer of Possibility, comprises 12 volumes examining the nominal life in the USA.
His work has been exhibited extensively – notably participating in the Italian Pavilion of the 49th Venice Biennale (2001), the inaugural exhibition at Switzerland's national Fotomuseum Winterthur, and most recently a solo exhibition at New York's Museum of Modern Art. He was one of the 24 photographers included in the Tate Gallery's landmark "Cruel and Tender" survey exhibition of 20th century photography (2003), and a European mid career survey exhibition at Museum Folkwang, Essen, and touring from 2009–2011 to the Deichtorhallen, Germany, and Whitechapel Gallery, London.
In 2012 he was awarded the Hasselblad Award, regarded as photography's top honor.
- A1—The Great North Road. Bristol: Grey Editions, 1983.
- Beyond Caring. Bristol: Grey Editions, 1985.
- Troubled Land. Bristol: Grey Editions, 1986.
- In Umbra Res. Bradford: National Museum of Photography, Film, and Television, 1991.
- New Europe. Fotomuseum Winterthur, 1992.
- Empty Heaven. Zurich: Scalo, 1995.
- End of an Age. Zurich: Scalo, 1998.
- Paintings. New York, NY: Greenberg Van Doren Gallery, 2000.
- American Night. Göttingen: SteidlMack, 2003.
- A Shimmer of Possibility. Göttingen: SteidlMack, 2007. 12 volume hardback.
- Paul Graham. Göttingen: SteidlMack, 2009.
- A Shimmer of Possibility. Göttingen: SteidlMack, 2009. Single volume softback.
- Europe: America. La Fabrica, 2011. ISBN 978-8415303343. Said to juxtapose two series, New Europe (1986-1992) and A Shimmer of Possibility (2004-2006). Accompanying an exhibition at the Fundación Botín in 2011/2012 curated by Vicente Todolí.
- Films. London: Mack, 2011.
- The Present. London: Mack, 2012.
- 1981 & 2011. Gothenburg, Sweden: Hasselblad Foundation; London: Mack, 2012. ISBN 9781907946332. Produced in conjunction with his receiving the Hasselblad Award and an exhibition. Said to be edited by Paul Graham in collaboration with Dragana Vujanovic and Louise Wolthers from The Hasselblad Foundation and with a text by David Campany, 'Noticing'.  Said to unite A1 - The Great North Road (1981) and The Present (2011).
Exhibitions (selected solo and group exhibitions)
- Conflits en Irlande du Nord, Rencontres d'Arles, Arles, France, 1987.
- New Europe, Fotomuseum Winterthur, 1993.
- Empty Heaven, Kunstmuseum, Wolfsburg, 1995.
- Hypermetropia, Tate Gallery, London, 1996.
- End of an Age, Portfolio Gallery, Edinburgh, 1998; Galerie Bob Van Orsouw, Zurich, 1998.
- American Night, Anthony Reynolds Gallery, London, 2003; Power House, Memphis, TN, 2003; PS1, New York, 2003.
- American Pictures, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 2004.
- American Night, Rencontres d'Arles, Arles, France, 2006; La Fábrica, Madrid, 2006.
- Click Double Click, The Documentary Factor, Haus der Kunst, Munich, 2006; Centre for Fine Arts, Brussels, 2006
- A Shimmer of Possibility, MoMA, New York, 2009.
- Paul Graham. Photographs 1981-2006, Museum Folkwang, Essen, Germany, 2009; Deichtorhallen, Hamburg, Germany, 2010; Whitechapel Gallery, London, 2011.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2010)|
- Arts Council of Great Britain, London
- British Council, London
- Det Kongelige Bibliotek, Copenhagen
- European Parliament, Brussels
- Fotomuseum Winterthur, Winterthur
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, NY
- Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg, Wolfsburg
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León, León
- The Museum of Modern Art, New York
- National Museum of Photography, Bradford
- The Saint Louis Art Museum, MO
- Tate Gallery, London
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- Winnipeg Art Museum, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- The Whitney Museum of Art, New York
- Hasselblad Foundation
- Bettina Lockemann, Das Fremde sehen: Der europäische Blick auf Japan in der künstlerischen Dokumentarfotografie (Transcript, 2008; ISBN 3-8376-1040-3), p.211 (here at Google Books).
- Tate Modern past exhibition list ()
- Paul Graham 1981 & 2011
- Click Doubleclick – The Documentary Factor
- The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
- His photographs at Fotomuseum Winterthur. Accessed 17 September 2010.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Collection (MOMA)
- The Tate
- Examples of Graham's work held in the collection of Fotomuseum Winterthur
- Paul Graham Archive
- "Paul Graham", Pace/MacGill Gallery
- Graham's biography at Anthony Reynolds Gallery
- Tate Modern: Cruel And Tender (2003) (video)
- Paul Graham on re-title.com