Paul H. Harvey
Paul H. Harvey CBE FRS (born 19 January 1947) is a British evolutionary biologist. He is Professor of Zoology and was head of the zoology department at Oxford University from 1998 - 2011, holding these posts in conjunction with a professorial fellowship at Jesus College, Oxford. He was elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1992 in recognition of his status as the leading evolutionary biologist of his era. In 1997 Harvey was awarded the NAS Award for Scientific Reviewing from the National Academy of Sciences. He was the Secretary of the Zoological Society of London.
From 2000-2011, he served as Secretary of the Zoological Society of London (constitutionally the Chief Executive responsible for London and Whipsnade Zoos, the Institute of Zoology, and the Conservation Programmes)
Selected Publications by Harvey
- Garland, T., Jr., Harvey, P.H., & Ives, A.R.. 1992. Procedures for the analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts. Systematic Biology 41:18-32. PDF
- Harvey, P.H. Martin, R.D., & Clutton-Brock, T.H. (1987) Life Histories in Comparative Perspective. In Primate Societies. Smuts, B.B., Cheney, D.L., Seyfarth, R.M., Wrangham, R.W., Struhsaker, T.T. (eds). Chicago & London:University of Chicago Press. pp. 181–196 ISBN 0-226-76715-9
- Harvey, P.H. & Pagel, M.D. (1991) The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford Monographs in Ecology and Evolution edited by Harvey, P.H. and May, R.M.. Oxford University Press.
- Pybus, O.G.; Rambaut, A; Holmes, E.C.; Harvey, P.H. (2002). "New inferences from tree shape: numbers of missing taxa and population growth rates". Syst. Biol 51 (6): 881–888. doi:10.1080/10635150290102582. PMID 12554454.
- Pybus, O.G.; Charleston, M.A.; Gupta, S.; Rambaut, A; Holmes, E.C.; Harvey, P.H. (2001). "The epidemic behaviour of the Hepatitis C virus". Science 292 (5525): 2323–2325. doi:10.1126/science.1058321. PMID 11423661.
- Freckleton, R.P.; Harvey, P.H. (2006). "Detecting Non-Brownian Trait Evolution in Adaptive Radiations". PLoS Biology 4 (11): e373. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0040373. PMC 1634878. PMID 17090217.
- Kelly, C.K.; Bowler, M.G.; Pybus, O.; Harvey, P.H. (2008). "Phylogeny, niches and relative abundance in natural communities". Ecology 89 (4): 962–970. doi:10.1890/07-0322.1. PMID 18481521.. Also see Leibold, Mathew A. (2008). "Ecology: Return of the niche". Nature 454 (7200): 39–41. doi:10.1038/454039a. PMID 18596794. and Sugden, A. M. (2008). "ECOLOGY: Deterministic Competition". Science 320 (5878): 851a–851a. doi:10.1126/science.320.5878.851a.
- Charlesworth, B.; Harvey, P. (2005). "John Maynard Smith. 6 January 1920 - 19 April 2004: Elected F.R.S. 1977". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 51 (3): 253–265. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2005.0016. PMC 1448785. PMID 15579672.
R. McNeill Alexander
|Secretary of the
Zoological Society of London
|This article about a biologist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|