Paul J. H. Schoemaker
|Paul J. H. Schoemaker|
4 April 1949 |
|Residence||Delray Beach, Florida; Villanova, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||University of Groningen
University of Notre Dame
The Wharton School
|Known for||Academic, author, and leader in the fields of strategic management and decision making|
He is listed among the most highly cited scholars globally (top 1%) as measured by academic publications in leading journals of business and economics. He currently serves as research director of the Mack Institute for Innovation Management  at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he also teaches decision making and strategy as a part-time professor now.
Schoemaker is the founder and executive chairman of a consulting and training firm specializing in strategic management, Decision Strategies International and also the chairman of two family companies (Public Salt Inc in Ohio and Vaessen-Schoemaker BV in the Netherlands). He also serves on the advisory board of the Decision Education Foundation, a philanthropic organization aimed at improving the decision making and judgment skills of adolescents, in associations with high schools around United States.
He currently lives in on the East Coast of USA with his wife, Joyce; they have two children.
Early life and education
He was born and raised in the Netherlands, and he started his studies in physics and mathematics at the University of Groningen, Netherlands. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of Notre Dame with a B.S. in physics in 1972. Later, he received an M.B.A. in Finance, an M.A. in Management and a Ph.D. in Decision Sciences, all three degrees from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1975, he started his professional life as a Lecturer of Management at the Wharton School and later in 1977 served there as an assistant Professor of Management. For over twelve years (starting 1979), he served as a full-time professor in the Graduate School of Business at the University of Chicago, specializing in strategy and decision sciences.
Since 1997, Prof. Schoemaker has served as Research Director of the Mack Center for Technological Innovation at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he teaches decision making and strategy as a part-time professor.
He is also the founder and Executive Chairman of Decision Strategies International, a consulting and training firm specializing in strategic management, executive development and multi-media software.
Paul Schoemaker is also an active private investor in new technology-based ventures and served on the Board of Directors of the Decision Education Foundation, a philanthropic organization aimed at improving the decision making and judgment skills of adolescents, in associations with high schools around United States.
Dr. Schoemaker’s articles have appeared in the Harvard Business Review, The Journal of Economic Literature and the Journal of Mathematical Psychology, as well as numerous other journals. A selection of articles and books can be found below:
- Books (author)
- J. Edward Russo, Paul J.H. Schoemaker (1990); Decision Traps; Simon and Schuster; ISBN 9780671726096
- Paul R. Kleindorfer, Howard G. Kunreuther, Paul J.H. Schoemaker (1993); Decision Sciences; Cambridge University Press; ISBN 9780521328678
- George S. Day, Paul J. H. Schoemaker, Robert E. Gunther (2000); Wharton On Managing Emerging Technologies; Wiley ; ISBN 9780471361213
- J. Edward Russo, Paul J.H. Schoemaker (2001); Winning Decisions; Crown Business; ISBN 9780385502252
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker, Robert E. Gunther (2002); Profiting from Uncertainty; Simon and Schuster; ISBN 9780743223287
- George S. Day, Paul J.H. Schoemaker (2006); Peripheral Vision; Harvard Business School Press; ISBN 9781422101544
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker, Joyce A. Schoemaker (2009); Chips, Clones and Living Beyond Hundred; FT Press; ISBN 9780137153855
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker (2011); Brilliant Mistakes: Finding Success on the Far Side of Failure; Wharton Digital Press; ISBN 9781613630112
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker (November 1995); Scenario Planning: "A Tool for Strategic Thinking”, Sloan Management Review
- George S. Day, Paul J.H. Schoemaker (November 2005); Scanning the Periphery; Harvard Business Review
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker, Robert E. Gunther (June 2006); The Wisdom of Deliberate Mistakes; Harvard Business Review
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker (March 2012); 6 Habits of True Strategic Thinkers; Inc.com
- Paul J.H. Schoemaker (April 2012); Why Failure Is the Foundation of Innovation; Inc.com
- CV Paul J. H. Schoemaker - paulschoemaker.com
- "Paul Schoemaker at www.IsHighlyCited.com".
- "Mack Center for Innovation Management".
- "Decision Education Foundation Board of Directors".
- Paul Schoemaker, (1995), “Scenario Planning: A Tool for Strategic Thinking”, Sloan Management Review, 36(2), 25-40.
- "Decision Strategies International".
- "Complete list of articles by Paul Schoemaker". Inc.com. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Strategic Decision". Inc.com. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Books and Publications by Paul J. H. Schoemaker