Paul Jackson (artist)
|Nationality||American (United States)|
|Known for||Painting (Watercolor)|
Paul Jackson, is a watercolorist in Columbia, Missouri. Jackson was inducted as a signature member into the American Watercolor Society at the age of 30, and he is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society. His work has received top honors in national and international competition.
Jackson was raised in Starkville, Mississippi Most of Jackson's work is privately owned, though many pieces are on display in galleries; his portraits of Governor and First Lady Roger and Pat Wilson hang in the Missouri State Capitol and Missouri Governor's Mansion.
Awards and honors
A partial list of Jackson's awards and honors includes:
- Walser Greathouse Medal – American Watercolor Society
- Best of Show – Northwest Watercolor Society National Exhibition
- Winsor & Newton Award – National Watercolor Society
- Designed the White House Easter Egg
- Designed Missouri's Commemorative State Quarter
- Created "Spot," a 30' diameter tiger mosaic & led more than a thousand volunteers in its 420,000 tile construction at the University of Missouri, Columbia
- Invited to the Invitational Exhibition of Contemporary International Watermedia Masters in China
Paul Jackson's Tiger Spot was completed and unveiled in October 2001 but the mosaic quickly showed signs of wear. Jackson began restoration work to the landmark in April 2003 and it was re-unveiled in November 2004. Additional repairs took place in October 2005. The mosiac was covered with a tarp in August 2007. A consultant concluded the mosaic was not built properly. A series of lawsuits has resulted with no resolution as of July 2011. Jackson accepted $125,000 to relinquish rights to the art and in May 2012, the University had it removed.
- Painting Spectacular Light Effects in Watercolor
- Sarah Larimer (2 May 2003). "Repairs to begin on spot". The Maneater. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Lyndsey Ellis (29 October 2004). "Tiger Spot to reopen". The Maneater. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Jeff Green (18 October 2005). "Tiger Spot to face new repair project". The Maneater. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Tiger Spot: University documents show continuous problems
- Columbia Missourian:  - MU soon to be spot-less
- Tiger Spot Documents (pdf)
- Columbia Daily Tribune: - Tiger Spot artist Paul Jackson sues MU
- Paul Jackson awarded $125,000 and mosaic removed. MU News
- Janese Silvey (14 May 2012). "MU hauls off damaged "Tiger Spot"". Missouri Daily Tribune. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Hales, Linda (September 2, 2002). "A Controversy Is Coined Over Series of Quarters". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 17, 2012.
- Local watercolor artist invited to exhibit in China. Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Watercolor winners named at CAL show. Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Artist to give mosaic of tiger to university. Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Studio of Dreams - Paul Jackson has opened a gallery in Columbia.... Columbia Daily Tribune.