||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (July 2011)|
Paul B. Kazarian (born October 15, 1955) is an American (of Armenian descent) investor, financier, businessperson, and philanthropist. He is currently the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Japonica Partners, an entrepreneurial investment firm.
Japonica Partners has overseen the creation of approximately $2.0 billion in shareholder wealth. A long-time industry innovator, Japonica has achieved entrepreneurial returns with low risk. It is distinguished by its “perfectly aligned” not-a-fund structure, and its best co-investors are strategic economic relationships (“SERs”), which include some of the most high value add investors in the world who have individually had over $500 million with Japonica.
Japonica's major situations include: the $630 million reorganization of 12 Allegheny International businesses; creating Sunbeam-Oster, a Fortune 356 global consumer products company; a $1.6 billion white knight tender offer for Chicago Northwestern; and a proactive $2.4 billion proposal to rejuvenate Borden, the beleaguered $7 billion conglomerate.
In 1993, Mr. Kazarian established two non-profit foundations whose charitable missions include economic development, education, and technology. The first one is named in honor of his grandparents, The Charles and Agnes Kazarian Eternal Foundation. The CAKE Foundation mandated USD 52 million for 2006 alternative asset allocation. The USD 52 million mandate is 18% of the Foundation's USD 291 million projected five-year alternative asset mandate.
Among other philanthropic initiatives, Mr. Kazarian is involved with the Asia Society. In 2004, he co-chaired Asia Society’s annual dinner, “The China Connection.”
He also chaired the American India Foundation’s fifth annual spring awards gala on April 30, 2008 in NYC and was honored at AIF's Boston Gala on November 13, 2010 for his role in philanthropic leadership in India. In addition, the Kazarian Foundation announced an investment of US$1.8M in a Knowledge Partnership with AIF as part of a US$10M Knowledge Partnership initiative.
Mr. Kazarian is also Committee Chairman for a 2010 Singapore Heritage Celebration and on Jan. 10, 2011, Mr. Kazarian delivered the opening address for a Knowledge Partnership for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Singapore) and the Singapore Cooperation Programme.
Since 1987, Mr. Kazarian has been Chairman & CEO of Japonica Partners and The Charles & Agnes Kazarian Eternal Foundation.
Prior to Japonica’s inception in 1987, Mr. Kazarian was an investment banker at Goldman, Sachs & Co. His clients were diverse, ranging from global Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 multi-nationals and emerging growth companies to quasi-government organizations.
From 1990 to 1993, Mr. Kazarian was Chairman and CEO of Sunbeam-Oster during its rejuvenation from Allegheny International.
Mr. Kazarian received his MBA from Columbia University, his MA from Brown University, and his undergraduate degree from Bates College. Mr. Kazarian has guest lectured and spoken on both business and philanthropy at Harvard Business School, Columbia Business School, Dartmouth's Tuck Business School, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and the National School of Development at Peking University.
- Japonica Partners
- Kazarian Family Foundation
- New Philanthropy Benchmarking
- Harvard Business School Case Study
- Vulture Investors Book
- Singapore, Kazarian Foundation, and J-InterSect Collaborate on Study Visit for Armenian Officials
- AIF Breaks Fundraising Record at Annual New England Gala
- AIF Boston Gala November 2010
- Best Diaspora Philanthropic Organizations Worldwide Selected
- National School of Development at Peking University in Beijing China Announces that Paul B. Kazarian has Accepted Invitation to Lecture; Lecture topic: "Successful Global Investing - Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Building Leading Global Companies"
- FULL SPEECH National School of Development at Peking University in Beijing China Announces that Paul B. Kazarian has Accepted Invitation to Lecture; Lecture topic: "Successful Global Investing - Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Building Leading Global Companies"
- 2010 Singapore Heritage Celebration
- Keynote Speaker
- Charles & Agnes Kazarian