Paul Mason (canoeist)
Paul Mason at his drawing table
|Known for||cartoonist, canoeist|
Paul Mason, son of Bill Mason is featured in the "Path of the Paddle" series of books and films/DVDs. Mason has had an extensive career as a canoe instructor and wilderness guide, having led groups on rivers in Ontario, Quebec, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories. This has included many trips on the Nahanni River, one of Canada's premier whitewater rivers.
An open canoe freestylist, Mason has competed at the international level - World Whitewater Freestyle Championships, 1993 (bronze medal), 1995 and 1999. Mason was featured in Canoe and Kayak magazine.
A graduate of the Ontario College of Art (1985), he co-authored The Thrill of the Paddle, a companion volume to his father’s Path of the Paddle.
Mason lives in Chelsea, Quebec with his wife Judy and two daughters.
Rick Mercer Report
On the October 9, 2007, episode of the Rick Mercer Report, with the help of Paul Scriver, he coached Rick Mercer and former Ontario Premier/Liberal Party leadership hopeful Bob Rae on whitewater paddling techniques as the two neophyte paddlers made their way through some challenging rapids on the Ottawa River.
- Buck, Ken; Bill Mason - Wilderness Artist from Heart to Hand, Rocky Mountain Books
- Mason, Bill; Path of the Paddle, Key Porter Books
- Raffin, James; Fire in the Bones, Phyllis Bruce Books
- Southam, Nancy; Pierre, McClelland & Stewart
- Outdoor Canada magazine, May 1998
- Paddler magazine Oct 1999, Nov/Dec 2007
- Kanawa magazine Winter 2001
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine, October 2007
|This article about a Canadian canoeist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This profile of a Canadian comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|