Paul Mayeda Berges
|Paul Mayeda Berges|
11 September 1968 |
Torrance, California, USA
|Years active||1990 – present|
Paul Mayeda Berges (born 11 September 1968 in Torrance, California) is an American screenwriter and director.
Of Japanese and Basque ancestry, Berges attended the University of California, Santa Cruz, where he studied film and graduated in 1990. He began his career by making documentaries (on the Japanese American community) and teaching film production (to high school students). He has collaborated with his wife, British-Indian director Gurinder Chadha, on a number of films and made his directorial debut in 2005 with The Mistress of Spices, based on the novel by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.
Berges officially met his wife in March 1994, while he was working as a Festival Director at the San Francisco Asian American International Film Festival. But they had also briefly met in September 1993. They married in the mid-nineties and have twins together; a boy named Ronak and a girl named Kumiko (born 7 June 2007).
- Blue Funnel (1990)
- What's Cooking? (2000)
- Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
- Bride and Prejudice (2004)
- The Mistress of Spices (2005)
- Paris, je t'aime – Quais de Seine (2006)
- Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008)
- It's a Wonderful Afterlife (2010)
- Paul Mayeda Berges at the Internet Movie Database
- BBC Movies: Interview – Paul Mayeda Berges (April 2006)
- Birmingham Mail: Film Reviews – Film: Gurinder Chadha reveals how marriage and babies were written in her stars (23 April 2010)
- Culture.com: Bend It Like Beckham – About The Filmmakers
- Filmmaker GURINDER CHADHA: Could She 'Bend It' Without A British Accent?
- RS Bollywood Online: Premier Indian Film Portal – Gurinder Chadha gives birth to twins (9 June 2007)
- The Writing Studio: The art of writing and making films – THE MISTRESS OF SPICES (Paul Mayeda Berges – Director/Writer)
- Toronto International Film Festival
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|