Paul McKenna (footballer)
McKenna in 2009
|Full name||Paul Stephen McKenna|
|Date of birth||20 October 1977|
|Place of birth||Eccleston, England|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|1992–1996||Preston North End|
|1996–2009||Preston North End||425||(30)|
|2013||→ Fleetwood Town (loan)||15||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:25, 30 September 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Paul Stephen McKenna (born 20 October 1977) is an English footballer who is currently playing for Bamber Bridge. Paul also owns a fruit & veg shop in Eccleston near Chorley with his business parter.
Preston North End
Born in Eccleston, Lancashire, after making his debut in 1997 he soon became a fixture in the Preston North End first team. His appearance tally was 427 at the end of the 2007–08 season. This puts him at number nine in the all-time record appearances for the club. He has worn the number 16 shirt since squad numbers were adopted by the Football League.
The 2006–07 season ended in disappointment for the Chorley-born player, not only at missing out on the Play-offs but at missing the last two months of the season with a groin problem. However, he recovered from the injury in time to make a first-team return in October 2007, and was named club captain in one of Paul Simpson's last acts as manager. McKenna has missed just one game since being handed the captain's armband.
McKenna scored the winning penalty in the penalty shoot-out of the 2000–01 Division One play-off semi-final second leg between Preston and Birmingham City at Deepdale, which saw the Lilywhites head to the Millennium Stadium for the final.
He signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract with Preston in November 2005.
On 19 December 2009, McKenna scored his first goal for Forest against former club Preston with a 25-yard shot into the bottom left hand corner. However he refused to celebrate the goal, showing restraint as a mark of respect to the Preston fans. Forest went on to win the game 3–0.
On 1 July 2011, following speculation that he may rejoin his former employers Preston North End, McKenna joined Hull City on a two-year contract on a free transfer. He made his debut in the first game of the season on 5 August 2011 at the KC Stadium in the 0–1 defeat to Blackpool. McKenna enjoyed a strong season as a regular in central midfield in the club's push for promotion.
On 16 May 2013, Hull City announced that McKenna, along with 11 others would be free to leave the KC stadium, as they prepared for their first season back in the Premier League.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 479. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Mckenna : PFA Championship Player of the Year". thefootballnetwork.net (The Football Network). 28 April 2005. Retrieved 31 July 2007.
- "McKenna signs deal extension". football.co.uk. 16 November 2005. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 31 July 2007.
- "Gunter & McKenna sign for Forest". BBC Sport (BBC). 20 July 2009. Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- "Skipper's Challenge". nottinghamforest.co.uk (Nottingham Forest F.C.). 7 August 2009. Archived from the original on 17 September 2009.
- "Nottingham Forest 3–0 Preston". BBC Sport. 19 December 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "City Bring in McKenna". hullcityafc.net (Hull City A.F.C.). 1 July 2011. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Hull 0–1 Blackpool". BBC Sport (BBC). 5 August 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Woodcock, Ian (27 August 2012). "Doncaster 3–2 Hull". BBC Sport (BBC). Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Paul McKenna: Fleetwood sign Hull midfielder on loan". BBC Sport (BBC). 25 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Abdoulaye Faye signs new Hull City deal as 12 players depart". BBC Sport (BBC). 16 May 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "PNE legend McKenna set for Brig debut". Lancashire Evening Post. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2014.