Paul Murray (footballer)
|Full name||Paul Murray|
|Date of birth||31 August 1976|
|Place of birth||Carlisle, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|1996||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||1||(0)|
|1996–2001||Queens Park Rangers||139||(7)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Carlisle, Cumbria, he started his career at Carlisle United and made his Football League debut for them on 27 December 1993, coming on as a substitute against Darlington. In May 1996 he joined QPR on loan, making his debut at Nottingham Forest. After the Hoops' relegation that season, he joined the team permanently for a transfer fee of £300,000. Whilst at QPR he was called up four times for the England U21 squad, and in February 1998 he made his solitary appearance for England B as a substitute against Chile. He enjoyed a successful time at Loftus Road, playing 140 league games before he joined Premiership side Southampton in July 2001, though he played only one game for the south coast side.
In December 2001 Murray joined Oldham Athletic, where he spent three and a half years, before he joined Portuguese club Beira-Mar. He re-joined Carlisle United in the close-season of 2006 after their promotion to League One, and scored against Doncaster Rovers in the opening game of the 2006–07 season. This was the first match for new manager Neil McDonald. He was released by the club in May 2007.
With his contract expired at Gretna, Murray turned down a number of clubs to move south of the border and join League Two side Shrewsbury Town in May 2008, alongside former team mate Stephen Hindmarch. After two years at the club he was released on 14 May 2010.
He joined up with Hartlepool United on trial in the summer of 2010 and signed a short term deal with the club in August 2010. Murray extended his contract with Hartlepool and won their player of the year trophy in the 2011–2012 season. Murray was released by Hartlepool midway through the 2012–2013 season, and re-signed by Oldham Athletic on a contract until the end of the season, returning to the club after almost nine years.
Murray joined League Two club Hartlepool United as manager on 23 October 2014, with Willie Donachie assisting him.  Murray was sacked by Hartlepool following defeat by non league side Blyth Spartans just six weeks after taking the reins at the League 2 outfit.
- Rothmans Football Yearbook 1994–95
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (2003). In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. Hagiology. p. 555. ISBN 0-9534474-3-X.
- "McDonald lets four players leave". BBC Sport. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 8 May 2007.
- "Shrews sign Murray and Hindmarch". BBC Sport. 16 May 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2008.
- "Shrewsbury Town release captain and four others". BBC Sport. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Hartlepool Hand Trial To Midfielder Paul Murray". Vital Hartlepool. 6 July 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Paul Murray Completes Hartlepool Move". Vital Hartlepool. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Paul Murray: Hartlepool United appoint ex-player as manager". BBC Sport. 23 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.