Paul Smart (motorcycle racer)
Smart started racing in the latter-half of 1960s after attending the Charles Mortimer Race School at Brands Hatch race circuit, Kent later riding a variety of machinery in different classes on UK short-circuits.
During 1967, Smart was sponsored by Charles Mortimer Senior, proprietor of the Charles Mortimer Race School based at Brands Hatch race circuit, Kent, riding from a stable consisting of RDS Greeves 250s, a Bultaco 125 and an Aermacchi 350 together with Chas Mortimer, Charles' son. Both were also employed as road race instructors at the race school.
Smart is famous for winning the Imola 200 on April 23, 1972, at age 29, riding Ducati's new 750 racer, based on the GT750 roadster. Ducati paid his airfare and £500 wages. A 750SS road bike and production race version followed, turning into the 1976 900SS which continued until the early 1980s.
After making history for Ducati and winning further races, in 1978 Paul finally hung up his leathers and retired from competition to concentrate on his motorcycle business which he expanded into three separate shops at one stage. He sold the shops and the family caravan park business in Kent, later qualifying as an offshore sailing skipper, formalising his long-time hobby.
In 2006, Ducati produced a 1000cc limited-edition Paul Smart Replica, in recognition of the 1972 Imola win, designating it Paul Smart 1000LE. It had the advanced-technology of the time, but resembled the 1972 race bike.
- Motor Cycle 9 March 1967. Racing Line by David Dixon. Accessed 2013-06-20
- Motor Cycle 7 July 1966. Road racing reports. Accessed 2013-07-23
- Motor Cycle 15 September 1966. Manx Grand Prix Practicing. Accessed 2013-07-03
- Motor Cycle 8 September 1966. Shell Advertisement - Shell backs the up and comers. Accessed 2013-07-03
- Motor Cycle, 3 August 1967. p.1072/75. 'School for road racers'. "The instructors are now Charles II and Paul Smart, both of whom, rather confusingly, are also under Charles Mortimer I's sponsorship as riders in their own right." Accessed 2013-08-09
-  Official TT race results 1967. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
-  Official TT race results 1969. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
-  Motorcycle specs, Kawasaki KR750
- motorbiketimes.com Retrieved 2013-06-21
-  Ashonbikes.com Website of the late Kevin Ash. Retrieved 2013-06-21
- Motorcyclist, May 2007, Pg 132, "The Holy Trinity", Paul Smart compares the original Imola 750 racer, '75 750 Super Sport, and new PS1000 LE SportClassic.
- Paul Smart career statistics at MotoGP.com
-  Genes Reunited. Free online marriage records. Retrieved 2013-06-22