Paul Stevens (baseball)
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
November 26, 1953 |
Oak Lawn, Illinois
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
Paul Stevens in an American college baseball coach, currently serving as head coach of the Northwestern Wildcats baseball program. He was named to that position prior to the 1988 season and is the winningest coach in program history, with over 600 wins.
Stevens played for two seasons at South Alabama before transferring to Lewis. He earned a Silver Medal with the U.S. team at the 1975 Pan American Games. He was drafted by the Kansas City Royals and played for three seasons in the Royals organization. Stevens then served as a scout for the New York Mets before becoming an assistant at Northwestern in 1985. After three years, he was promoted to head coach. Under Stevens, the Wildcats have reached 30 wins 3 times and won 20 or more games for fifteen years in a row. Stevens has coached more games than any other coach in Northwestern history, over 500 more than George McKinnon.
Head coaching record
The following lists Stevens' record as a head coach.
|Northwestern (Big Ten Conference) (1988–present)|
|1991||Northwestern||27–28–1||15–12–1||T-3rd||Big Ten Tournament[a]|
|1995||Northwestern||36–19||15–13||T-3rd||Big Ten Tournament[b]|
|2000||Northwestern||30–27||13–15||6th||Big Ten Tournament[c]|
|2002||Northwestern||26–29||14–15||6th||Big Ten Tournament[d]|
|2003||Northwestern||25–25||15–14||5th||Big Ten Tournament[e]|
|2006||Northwestern||26–33||21–11||2nd||Big Ten Tournament[f]|
|2010||Northwestern||24–32||13–11||t-3rd||Big Ten Tournament[g]|
- The top 4 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 1991.
- The top 4 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 1995.
- The top 6 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 2000.
- The top 6 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 2002.
- The top 6 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 2003.
- The top 6 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 2006.
- The top 6 of the Big Ten's 10 teams qualified for the tournament in 2010.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube
- List of current NCAA Division I baseball coaches
- "Paul Stevens Bio". Northwestern Wildcats. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Scott Powers (May 21, 2011). "Baseball a family affair at Northwestern". ESPN. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Lynden Ostrander (April 30, 2013). "Northwestern Baseball Takes Down Chicago State, 3-1". Inside Northwestern. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Philip Rossman-Reich (March 6, 2013). "Wildcat of the Week: Paul Stevens". Lake the Posts. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- 2013 Baseball Record Book. Northwestern Wildcats. p. 2. Retrieved September 25, 2013.