Paul Thomas (pornographic actor)
1947 (age 66–67)
|Other names||Phil Toubes, Phil Tobias, Phil Tobus, Phil Thomas, Paul Tanner, Paul Thobias, Judy Blue, Cleo Edwards, Cloe Edwards, Bo Edwards|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||149 lb (68 kg; 10.6 st)|
|No. of adult films||650 as actor
374 as director (per IAFD)
Philip Toubus (born April 17, 1947 in Winnetka, Illinois), better known as Paul Thomas, is an American pornographic actor and director. He is a member of the AVN Hall of Fame and the XRCO Hall of Fame. He is unrelated to Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Boogie Nights, a mainstream film portraying the porn industry. He was a major male star in the Golden Age of Porn.
Philip Toubus was born in Winnetka, Illinois, to a wealthy family. He is the nephew of Sara Lee Lubin, of the "Sara Lee" foods company. He attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison but turned to acting. He acted in Broadway theatre, playing a starring role in Hair. He also played Peter in the 1973 film version of Jesus Christ Superstar. Toubus signed with the William Morris Agency and went to Hollywood, where he appeared in several television shows.
Toubus started working in pornography in 1974. He met the porn producers the Mitchell Brothers while playing in a musical in San Francisco. He performed in several porn loops for them and, in 1976, appeared in his first porn feature, The Autobiography of a Flea.
Toubus performed mostly using the stage name Paul Thomas, but he has also appeared under several other names.
Following his release from prison, Toubus resumed his career and, in 1983, won the Adult Film Association of America Award for Best Actor in Virginia. He also played a starring role in the 1985 film series Taboo American Style.
Toubus started directing porn films in 1985, and has directed for Vivid Entertainment since 1986.
As of 2007[update] Toubus—as Paul Thomas—has acted in over 500 films and directed nearly 300 films, winning seven Adult Video News Awards and two X-Rated Critics Organization Awards for best director. He was inducted into the X-Rated Critics Organization Hall of Fame in 1986. In 2006 he was inducted into the Legends of Erotica Hall of Fame. He is also a member of the Adult Video News Hall of Fame.
- Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) as Peter
- The Autobiography of a Flea (1976)
- Baby Face (1977)
- Candy Stripers (1978)
- Pretty Peaches (1978)
- The Ecstacy Girls (1979)
- Virginia (1983)
- Private Teacher (1983)
- Taboo American Style (1985)
- It's My Body (1985)
- Fade to Black (2002): Uncredited, self-directed, AVN Award-winning, non-sex starring role
- "Debbie Does Dallas Again" (2007)
- Justine (1984)
- Beauty & the Beast 2 (1990)
- Passages 1–4 (1991)
- Twisted (1991)
- Bad Wives (1997)
- Bobby Sox (1997)
- Fade to Black (2002)
- Heart of Darkness (2004)
- The Masseuse (2005)
- The New Devil in Miss Jones (2006)
- 1983 AFAA Award for Best Actor – Virginia
- 1991 AVN Award for Best Director – Video – Beauty & the Beast 2
- 1992 AVN Award – Reuben Sturman Memorial Award For Loyalty to the Adult Film Genre*2008 XBIZ Award – New Starlet
- 1993 XRCO Award for Best Director
- 1994 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – Justine
- 1997 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – Bobby Sox
- 1999 XRCO Award for Best Director
- 2002 AVN Award for Best Non-Sex Performance – Fade to Black
- 2002 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – Fade to Black
- 2004 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – Heart of Darkness
- 2005 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – The Masseuse
- 2006 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – The New Devil in Miss Jones
- 2008 AVN Award for Best Director, Film – Layout
- 2008 XBIZ Award – Outstanding Achievement in Movie Production
- 2013 XBIZ Award Nomination - 'Director of the Year - Feature Release' for Friends With Benefits
- Nicolas Barbano: Verdens 25 hotteste pornostjerner (Rosinante, Denmark 1999) ISBN 87-7357-961-0: Features a chapter on him.
- Steven Mikulan (2007-05-09). "Paul Thomas: The auteur of sex". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- Dana Kennedy (1997-10-31). "NUDE AWAKENING". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Paul Thomas at the Internet Adult Film Database. Retrieved on 2014-01-06.
- "AVN Hall of Fame". Archived from the original on 2007-08-14.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) at the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved on 2007-10-24.
- "Paul Thomas: Engel eller djævel?" ("Paul Thomas: Angel or devil?"), by Nicolas Barbano in Verdens 25 hotteste pornostjerner (The 25 Hottest Porn Stars of the World). Rosinante, Denmark, 1999. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "XRCO Award Winners – 2002 & Before". Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- Steve Nelson (2006-02-04). "Why Remember Old Porn?". Adult Industry News. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "Paul Thomas' awards listed at IMDB". Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- Sherri L. Shaulis (2008-02-08). "Web, Studio Winners Announced At XBiz Awards". AVN.com. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- Rutter, Jared (2008-01-12). "2008 AVN Awards Winners Announced". AVN. Archived from the original on 2008-04-04. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- XBIZ Nominees 2013, XBIZ, January, 2013
- Paul Thomas at the Internet Movie Database
- Paul Thomas at the Internet Movie Database
- Paul Thomas at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Paul Thomas at the Adult Film Database
- Paul Thomas biography at Luke Ford's website, Lukeisback.com
- Paul Thomas Interview 01/31/06. Scott Swan (2006-02-20). collider.com. Retrieved on 2007-10-24.