Paula Frías Allende
|Paula Frías Allende|
|Born||22 October 1963|
|Died||6 December 1992 (aged 29)|
|Occupation||Psychologist, educator, humanitarian|
Paula Frías Allende (22 October 1963 – 6 December 1992) was the daughter of Chilean-American author, Isabel Allende Llona. Her grandfather was a first cousin of Salvador Allende, President of Chile from 1970 to 1973.
Illness and death
Paula was only 29 when she died in 1992. She went into a coma after complications of porphyria had hospitalised her. In 1991, an error in medication resulted in severe brain damage, leaving her in a persistent vegetative state. Her mother had her moved to a hospital in California where she died on 6 December 1992.
Foundation and novel
Isabel Allende started the Isabel Allende Foundation on December 9, 1996, in homage to her daughter. Her autobiographical book Paula is dedicated to her. The foundation is "dedicated to supporting programs that promote and preserve the fundamental rights of women and children to be empowered and protected."
- Isabel Allende: Paula Foundation
- Isabel Allende: "¡Escribo bien! Por lo menos admítanme eso" [Emol], 17 December 2009
Vengo a Chile por lo menos tres veces al año, me comunico con Chile todos los días a través de Skype con mi mamá, estoy enterada de lo que pasa y cuando me preguntan 'qué eres' digo automáticamente 'chilena'. Vivo en América, pero me siento profundamente chilena en la manera de vivir, de ser: soy mandona, metete, dominante, intrusa, hospitalaria, tribal. (Isabel Allende)
- Isabel Allende webpage
- Benatar, Raquel; Patricia Petersen (2003). Isabel Allende: Recuerdos Para Un Cuento/Memories for a Story. Arte Publico Press. ISBN 9781558853799. Retrieved 8 Sep 2010.
- Hopscotch: A Cultural Review
- Review: The undefeated: A life in writing: Often compared to Gabriel García Márquez, Isabel Allende is more interested in telling stories about her own life, her difficult upbringing, marriage and her daughter's death. Aida Edemariam. The Guardian (London) - Final Edition. GUARDIAN REVIEW PAGES; Pg. 11. 28 April 2007 Isabel Allende website
- Shirley Christian, Santiago Journal; Allende's Widow Meditates Anew on a Day in '73, The New York Times. Section A; Page 4, Column 3; Foreign Desk. 5 June 1990
- Veronica Ross, Sewing didn't cut it for Inés, Guelph Mercury (Ontario, Canada). BOOKS; Pg. C5. 3 March 2007
- Isabel Allende Foundation
- After Paula: An Interview with Isabel Allende
- The list 101 top leaders of the Latino community in the U.S; Cover story. Allen, Kerri; Miller, Corina; Socorro, Dalia; Stewart, Graeme. Latino Leaders Pg. 24(27) Vol. 8 No. 4 ISSN: 1529-3998. 1 June 2007