Patton in September 2012
|Born||Paula Maxine Patton
December 5, 1975
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
|Spouse(s)||Robin Thicke (2005–2014) (separated)|
Paula Maxine Patton (born December 5, 1975) is an American actress who is known for her appearances in the films Idlewild (2006), Déjà Vu (2006), Mirrors (2008), Swing Vote (2008), Precious (2009), Just Wright (2010), Jumping the Broom (2011), Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011), and Baggage Claim (2013).
Early life and education
Patton was born in Los Angeles, California, to Joyce (née Vanraden), a school teacher, and Charles Patton, a lawyer. Her father is African-American and her mother is Caucasian. She graduated from Hamilton High School, and then started college at UC Berkeley, transferring to USC Film School after her first year and graduated. Shortly after completing her studies, she won a three-month assignment making documentaries for PBS.
Her first acting role was a small part in 2005's Hitch, which starred Will Smith and Eva Mendes. She followed that with a small part in the drama London and appeared alongside OutKast members Andre Benjamin and Big Boi in Idlewild.
Patton's big break came in 2006 when she landed the pivotal role of Claire Kuchever in the science fiction thriller Déjà Vu, starring Denzel Washington and Jim Caviezel. She played television reporter Kate Madison in 2008's Swing Vote. She appeared in the film Mirrors, alongside Kiefer Sutherland, in 2008. She also appeared in her husband Robin Thicke's "Lost Without You" video in 2006.
In Precious (2009), Patton plays Ms. Blu Rain, a teacher at 'Each One, Teach One' an alternative high-school in Harlem, New York. At the school, Ms. Rain teaches and mentors disadvantaged students, including the film's main character, C. Precious Jones.
In the fall of 2010, Patton was announced as succeeding Sharon Stone as the new full-time assistant district attorney on the NBC legal drama, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. However, Patton landed the lead female role in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol and thus her role on SVU was reduced to one episode. She was replaced by Melissa Sagemiller.
Patton began dating recording artist Robin Thicke, son of actors Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring, when they were both teenagers. They married on June 11, 2005. Together they have one son, Julian Fuego Thicke who was born in April 2010.  On February 24, 2014, Patton and Thicke announced their separation after nearly 9 years of marriage.
Patton provided additional vocals for Usher on his 2004 album Confessions. She provided the female vocal counterpart on the song "Can U Handle It?" which was co-written by her husband Robin Thicke.
|2010||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||A.D.A. Mikka Von||Episode: Wet|
|2012||Single Ladies||Layla Twilight||2 episodes|
- Fischer, Paul. "Exclusive Interview: Paula Patton", (August 1, 2008)
- Oksenhorn, Stewart (September 30, 2009). "Paula Patton offers ‘Precious' performance, earns Aspen Film honor". Aspen Times. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- Evans, Rory (March 2010). "Paula Patton: Precious star Paula Patton reveals all". Women's Health. Retrieved April 13, 2010.
- Paula Patton at the Internet Movie Database
- "Precious Star Paula Patton is Law & Order: SVU's New ADA". TVGuide.com.
- Chris Harnick (September 10, 2010). "Melissa Sagemiller to Replace Paula Patton on 'Law and Order: SVU'". www.tvsquad.com. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- Collura, Scott (December 4, 2013). "Ben Foster and Dominic Cooper Head for Warcraft". IGN. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Penn, Charli (December 21, 2011). "Exclusive: Robin Thicke on Loving Black Women, Interracial Dating, and Pleasing Paula". Essence.
- Cruz, Anne Marie (April 7, 2010). "Robin Thicke and Paula Patton Welcome a Son". People Magazine. Retrieved April 13, 2010.
- "Robin Thicke and Paula Patton 'mutually' decide to split". cnn. Retrieved February 27 2014.
- "Confessions: Usher". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Alliance of Women Film Journalists Awards 2011". Movie City News.
- 'Law & Order: SVU' exclusive: 'Precious' star circling new ADA post | Ausiello | EW.com (2010-06-23)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paula Patton.|