Paulo Afonso Santos Júnior
|Full name||Paulo Afonso Santos Júnior|
|Date of birth||6 May 1982|
|Place of birth||Lagoa Santa, Brazil|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2012||→ Betis (loan)||17||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Lagoa Santa, Minas Gerais, Paulão started playing with local Clube Atlético Mineiro, moving to neighbouring América Futebol Clube after three seasons. In 2006, he competed with Sociedade Esportiva do Gama in the Série B.
In the 2006 European off-season, Paulão moved to Portugal and signed for Associação Naval 1º de Maio, being an undisputed starter from the beginning and scoring six top division goals in his last two years combined. He made his debut in the competition on 10 September 2006, playing the full 90 minutes in a 2–1 away win against Académica de Coimbra.
For the 2009–10 campaign Paulão continued in the country, joining S.C. Braga. He only played in seven league games in his first year, but made 34 official appearances in the following for the Minho club (three goals), including seven in its runner-up run in the UEFA Europa League.
Paulão netted two times in 22 matches in his first full season in La Liga, helping the Andalusians finish seventh and qualify for the Europa League. On 20 April 2014, just 30 minutes into an away fixture against Rayo Vallecano, he asked to be substituted after making two mistakes that cost Betis two goals in a 3–1 defeat that made their relegation almost certain.
- Official: Saint-Etienne land Braga's Paulao on a free transfer; Goal.com, 7 July 2011
- El Betis refuerza su zaga con Paulao (Betis strengthens back sector with Paulao); Estadio Deportivo, 20 January 2012 (Spanish)
- Betis 1–0 Espanyol: Gran primera mitad verdiblanca que le dio la victoria (Betis 1–0 Espanyol: Great verdiblanca first half gave win); Goal.com, 22 September 2012 (Spanish)
- A Europa a balón parado (To Europe by set pieces); Marca, 7 October 2012 (Spanish)
- Lowe, Sid (21 April 2014). "Paulão's sorrow sums up a season of surrender for Real Betis". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 August 2014.