|Born||Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino
May 13, 1988
Baguio City, Philippines
|Occupation||Actor, model, host|
Michael "Paulo" Avelino (born May 13, 1988) is a Filipino television and film actor, model and singer. He began his showbiz career through the reality talent show StarStruck on GMA Network. After being eliminated on the said reality show, he signed exclusive contract on GMA where he played various supporting roles for the network.On mid-2011, he transferred to ABS-CBN where he gain his current popularity. He gained prominence for his role as Nathan Montenegro in Walang Hanggan in 2012. He also starred in Kahit Konting Pagtingin and Honesto (where he reunites with his Walang Hanggan co-stars' Melissa Ricks and Noni Buencamino) in 2013. He won the Gawad Urian Award for Best Actor for the film Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa.
Life and career
Paulo Avelino was born on May 13, 1988 as Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino in Baguio City, Philippines. He is the son of Roberto Puigcerver Avelino, an influential Spanish-Filipino from Calbayog City, Western Samar and Jennilyn Lingbanan. He is second out of four siblings, Honey, Gabriel and Angela.  His grandfather is Baltazar Avelino, former governor of Samar and is related to former Senator Jose Avelino. He attended his primary education at Baguio City SPED Center Elementary School, then later on at the University of Baguio Science High School before graduating at the Baguio Patriotic High School for secondary education. He studied Enterpreneurial Management at Saint Louis University in Baguio City but quit during his first year.He then finished the same course at the Ateneo De Manila University in Quezon City. 
2006-10: Discovery and early projects
Avelino joined a reality show, StarStruck 4 under GMA Network in 2006 wherein he got eliminated from the Top 8.Even though he lost in the talent search, Avelino had different acting roles in 2007 on various GMA shows. According to him, "Ever since I was a child, I really wanted to act... I think acting is really my calling".He first appeared on Magic Kamison: Black Jewel In The Palace episode in 2007. On the same year, he appeared on various minor roles; two series of Sine Novela, and Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan. The cast of StarsTruck 4 had their first regular show entitled as Boys Nxt Door, an award-winning youth oriented situation comedy for the network's 57th anniversary. On 2008, he appeared for a supporting role in Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita, a remake of 1989 movie of the same title redeveloped by Don Michael Perez and produced by GMA Network.Avelino also appeared on an afternoon series, Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan and on a primetime series, Luna Mystika.The year also marks the debut of Avelino on film, having been casted on an Metro Manila Film Festival entry of Regal Films entitled as Desperadas 2.
On 2009, Avelino started a regular stint on GMA's then Sunday variety show, SOP Rules,and finally landing major roles on then famous Kris Bernal-Aljur Abrenica tandem, with Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin? and All My Life.He was also casted as Robert on a GMA Films-VIVA Films project, Patient X and as Pepe on a Filipino action fantasy film, Ang Panday.On 2010, he appeared on a supporting role on a primetime series, Ilumina.On the same year, his career turned up as he replaces JC De Vera for a lead role, in the networks' series, Panday Kidz. According to him on an interview of Philippine Entertainment Portal, he's happy and feels blessed because he was chosen by the network on a big project.He appeared on his last show with GMA Network through an afternoon show, Alakdana with Louise delos Reyes and Alden Richards.
2011-12: Transfer to ABS-CBN and breakthrough
On 2011, Avelino signed his contract with ABS-CBN with the presence of channel head Cory Vidanes, business unit head Deo Endrinal, and his manager Leo Dominguez. According to ABS-CBN News, Avelino said he wants to explore out of his comfort zone and at the same time, reinvent himself an actor.Avelino debut as a lead actor for a film alongside Lovi Poe on Regal Films' Aswang which embarks his first project as a Kapamilya actor.He also acted on a film entitled as Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, an entry to the 2011 Metro Manila Film Festival.He appeared for the first time on an ABS-CBN show through a guest role in 100 Days to Heaven.He appeared as a rich executive named Teddy Ledesma, alongside veteran actor Phillip Salvador.He also appeared on Wansapanataym, Maalaala Mo Kaya and Ikaw Ay Pag-Ibig as warm up for her future projects.
Avelino played the role of a bisexual on a 2011 Cinemalaya film, "Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa" alongside Rocco Nacino wherein he won Best Actor at the Gawad Urian Award.This marks the actor's first ever award.In his speech, he thanked the movie's cast and crew, and said the award will be an inspiration to him.According to him, "When I first accepted the script, to be honest, I didn’t understand it.[...]It’s mostly poems or songs. It’s something really different, and that’s the reason why I accepted it...".On 2012, Avelino achieved his biggest break through a major role for a primetime series, Walang Hanggan alongside Coco Martin and Julia Montes.He revealed that he learned a lot from his multi-awarded co-actor, Martin who plays the lead role in the said series. On the same year, Avelino once again appeared on 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival through "Lost Command" episode of a famous horror trilogy, Shake, Rattle & Roll 14 produced by Regal Films. According to him, he considers doing horror projects a little more challenging compared to doing drama.
Aside from movie and television acting, Avelino became also a recording artist releasing his self-titled album under Universal Records on October 1, 2012. His album, Paulo Avelino is composed of six-tracks covers of OPM classic hits.The album is preceded by the first single, a cover of Restless Heart's "When She Cries". Avelino also released a music video for his second single, a cover of Alamid's "Your Love".The other tracks from the album included "Gaano Kadalas Ang Minsan", "Yakap Sa Dilim", "Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal" and "If You Believe".
2013-present: Recent and future projects
Avelino started the year 2013 with a primetime series, Kahit Konting Pagtingin together with Angeline Quinto and Sam Milby.He also appeared on two independent films for Cinemalaya. The first was directed by Alvin Yapan and was titled Debosyon.He explained that he signed up on the film because of the surreal and magical treatment of the story about faith, religion and forbidden love. The dialogue, as well, is written in very poetic Bicolano.The other one was directed by Jerrold Tarog titled as "Sana Dati", a bizarre story of a videographer and a bride.He also appeared as a leading man of actresses, Lovi Poe and Jennylyn Mercado on a highly-charged erotic-drama/ romantic comedy film directed by Joel Lamangan, The Bride and the Lover.
Avelino returned on the small screen with two Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes; "Notbook" and a first ever tandem with Angel Locsin on "Mask".Avelino did a tandem to Locsin after reports surfaced that he allegedly refused to work with the actress. He had backed out of Locsin's upcoming series The Legal Wife(former Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin) which they were supposed to headline.He is currently included as a main cast of the current series, Honesto.He also appeared on a romantic-comedy film directed by Chris Martinez entitled as Status: It's Complicated together with Jake Cuenca, Solenn Heussaff, Maja Salvador and veteran comedian, Eugene Domingo. The movie is inspired and remaked by the 1979 classic sexy-comedy film Salawahan directed by Ishmael Bernal.He is also set to appear on two 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival entries, through Star Cinema's horror film Pagpag and Kimmy Dora: The Quantum of Kiyeme.
|Paulo Avelino - EP|
|2012||Gawad Urian Awards||Best Actor (Sayaw ng Dalawang Paa)||Won|
|2012||Gawad Urian Awards||Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Drama) (Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2511552/awards||Nominated|
|2012||14th Pasado Awards||Best Supporting Actor (Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa)||Won|
|2012||ASAP Pop Viewer's Choice Awards||Pop Kapamilya TV Character (Nathan Montenegro) (Walang Hanggan)||Nominated|
|2013||10th Golden Screen TV Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor (Walang Hanggan)||Won|
- StarStruck alumnus Paulo Avelino transfers to Kapamilya network retrieved via www.pep.ph 08-16-2011
- FIRST HERE (with EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS) : CONFIRMED! Paulo Avelino, certified Kapamilya na! retrieved via www.push.com.ph 08-16-2011
- Paulo Avelino-Biography
- Paulo Avelino - Kapamilya Star, Biography Retrieved 11-11-2013
- Paulo Avelino Retrieved 11-11-2013
- Lo, Ricky (24 June 2012). "The triumph of Paulo Avelino". Philippine Star. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- StarStruck alumnus Paulo Avelino transfers to Kapamilya network by Elli Alipio posted on August 16, 2011.
- Manuel, Maureen (2 May 2013). "Behind his ‘bad boy’ image, Paulo Avelino reveals a true passion for his craft". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Erece, Dinno. "GMA-7 acquires exclusive rights to "Shaider"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dino. ""The Boys Next Door" premieres on May 27". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Babangon ako't dudurugin kita (2008– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dinno. "Friendship of Lovi Poe and Glaiza de Castro reportedly affected by their onscreen rivalry". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- ""Luna Mystika" airs starting Nov 17". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Luna Mystika (2008– ) Full Cast & Crew". IMDB. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Dapat ka bang mahalin? (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "All My Life (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Kris Bernal, Aljur Abrenica to star in a primetime soap". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Patient X". Film Biz Asia. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Teodoro, J.I. "Ang Panday 2: A timely preachy movie". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "GMA's Ilumina". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Calderon, Nora. "Paulo Avelino last to know he replaces JC de Vera in Panday Kids". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "THE CAST: "Panday Kids"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Paulino, Ver (2 June 2010). "Panday Kids: Final showdown". Philippine Star. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Aljur Abrenica surprised by StarStruck batchmate Paulo Avelino's decision to move to ABS-CBN Rommel Gonzales, PEP.ph.
- "Lovi Poe is torn between man (Paulo Avelino) and beast (Joem Bascon) in Aswang". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow’ power cast". Tempo. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Limjap, Ria. "What We Do For Love: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow". SPOT.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Vibas, Danny (7 October 2011). "’100 Days To Heaven’ bumaba ang ratings dahil Kay Paulo Avelino". Remate. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino plays an executive in 100 Days to Heaven". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (22 September 2011). "New stars to grace '100 Days to Heaven'". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Maalaala mo kaya Liham (22 Oct. 2011)". IMDb. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- GMA ‘Starstruck’ finalist Paulo Avelino now with ABS-CBN By Chuck Smith and Karen Valeza, Yahoo! Philippines.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "35th Gawad Urian winners honored; Maja Salvador and Paulo Avelino win top acting honors". PEP,ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "'Walang Hanggan' finale scores all-time high rating". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo shares dream ending for 'Walang Hanggan'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino: I learn from Coco Martin". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "MMFF REVIEW: Shake Rattle and Roll 14". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino finds horror more challenging". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino -EP". iTunes. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino turns singer, launches CD". ABS-CBNnews.com. Oct. 2, 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino releases new music video". abs-cbnnews.com. December 5, 2012.
- "Angeline Quinto to be paired with Sam Milby and Paulo Avelino in her first teleserye". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Aquino, Tricia. "Paulo Avelino-starrer ‘Debosyon’ reveals tempting poster". InterAksyon. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Mendoza, Abby. "Paulo Avelino was almost replaced as lead star of Cinemalaya entry Debosyon". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Dumaual, Miguel. "What's next for Paulo Avelino". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "‘The Bride and the Lover’ hard to pin down". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Angel Locsin and Paolo Avelino team up for the first time on "MMK"". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Simeon, Francis. "Angel Locsin at Paulo Avelino, natuloy rin ang pagsasama". PinoyParazzi. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo works with Angel for first time in 'MMK'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Alno, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino, Maricar Reyes, and new child star Raikko Mateo uphold honesty in Honesto". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Solenn works with Maja and Jake new movie". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Marasigan, Zia. "‘Status: It’s Complicated:' A Joke Worth Repeating". Rappler. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Almo, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino's camp says actor's reported suicide attempt is "fabricated"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Macahindog, Jecelyn (26 September 2013). "Manager denies Paulo Avelino’s alleged suicide attempt". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Cruz, Marinel. "LJ Reyes: Paulo is a good dad to our son". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino - EP". iTunes.com. October 1, 2012.