|Born||Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino
May 13, 1988
Baguio City, Benguet, Philippines
|Occupation||Actor, model, host|
|Agent||GMA Artist Center (2006–2011)
Star Magic (2012–present)
Michael "Paulo" Avelino (born May 13, 1988) is a Filipino television and film actor, model and singer. He began his showbiz career through the reality talent show StarStruck on GMA Network. After being eliminated in the said reality show, he signed exclusive contract with GMA where he played various supporting roles for the network. In mid-2011, he transferred to ABS-CBN where he gain his current popularity. He gained prominence for his role as Nathan Montenegro in the 2012 hit series Walang Hanggan. He also won the Gawad Urian Award Best Actor for the film Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa. He was starred in Kahit Konting Pagtingin and Honesto in 2013, and currently in Sana Bukas pa ang Kahapon in 2014.
Life and career
Paulo Avelino was born on May 13, 1988 as Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino in Baguio City, Philippines. He is the son of Roberto Puigcerver Avelino, an influential Spanish-Filipino from Calbayog City, Western Samar and Jennilyn Lingbanan. He is second out of four siblings, Honey, Gabriel and Angela. His grandfather is Baltazar Avelino, former governor of Samar and is a great grandson to former Senate President Jose Avelino. He attended his primary education at Baguio City SPED Center Elementary School, then later on at the University of Baguio Science High School before graduating at the Baguio Patriotic High School for secondary education. He studied Enterpreneurial Management at Saint Louis University in Baguio City but quit during his first year. He then continued the same course at the Ateneo De Manila University in Quezon City.
2006-10: Discovery and early projects
Avelino joined a reality show StarStruck 4 under GMA Network in 2006, wherein he got eliminated from the Top 8. Even though he lost in the talent search, Avelino had different acting roles in 2007 in various GMA shows. According to him, "Ever since I was a child, I really wanted to act... I think acting is really my calling". He first appeared in Magic Kamison: Black Jewel In The Palace episode in 2007. In the same year, he appeared in various minor roles; two series of Sine Novela, and Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan. The StarStruck 4 cast had their first regular show entitled as Boys Nxt Door, an award-winning youth oriented situation comedy for the network's 57th anniversary. In 2008, he appeared for a supporting role in Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita, a remake of 1989 movie of the same title redeveloped by Don Michael Perez and produced by GMA Network. Avelino also appeared in an afternoon series Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan, and in a primetime series Luna Mystika. The year also marks the debut of Avelino on film, having been cast in a Metro Manila Film Festival entry of Regal Films entitled Desperadas 2.
In 2009, Avelino started a regular stint in GMA's then Sunday variety show SOP Rules, and finally landing major roles on then famous Kris Bernal-Aljur Abrenica tandem, with Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin? and All My Life. He was also cast as Robert in a GMA Films-VIVA Films project, Patient X and as Pepe in a Filipino action fantasy film, Ang Panday. In 2010, he appeared in a supporting role in a primetime series Ilumina. In the same year, his career turned up as he replaced JC de Vera for a lead role in the fantasy series Panday Kids. According to him in an interview of Philippine Entertainment Portal, he's happy and feels blessed because he was chosen by the network for a big project. His last show with GMA Network was playing a lead role in the afternoon fantasy-drama Alakdana, with Louise delos Reyes and Alden Richards.
2011-12: Transfer to ABS-CBN and breakthrough
In 2011, Avelino signed a contract with ABS-CBN in the presence of channel head Cory Vidanes, business unit head Deo Endrinal and his manager Leo Dominguez. According to ABS-CBN News, Avelino said he wanted to explore out of his comfort zone and at the same time, reinvent himself as an actor. Avelino debuted as a lead actor in a film alongside Lovi Poe on Regal Films' Aswang, which marked his first project as a Kapamilya actor. He also acted in a film entitled as Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, an entry to the 2011 Metro Manila Film Festival. He appeared for the first time in an ABS-CBN show through a guest role in 100 Days to Heaven. He appeared as a rich executive named Teddy Ledesma, alongside veteran actor Phillip Salvador. He also appeared in Wansapanataym, Maalaala Mo Kaya and Ikaw Ay Pag-Ibig as a warm up for his future projects.
Avelino played the role of a bisexual in the 2011 Cinemalaya film "Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa" alongside Rocco Nacino, wherein he won as Best Actor at the Gawad Urian Awards. This marked the actor's first ever award. In his speech, he thanked the movie's cast and crew, and said the award would be an inspiration to him. According to him, "When I first accepted the script, to be honest, I didn’t understand it.[...]It’s mostly poems or songs. It’s something really different, and that’s the reason why I accepted it...". In 2012, Avelino achieved his biggest break through a major role in the hit primetime series "Walang Hanggan", alongside Coco Martin and Julia Montes. He revealed that he learned a lot from his multi-awarded co-actor Martin, who played the lead role in the said series. In the same year, Avelino once again appeared in 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival through "Lost Command" episode of a famous horror trilogy Shake, Rattle & Roll 14 produced by Regal Films. According to him, he considers doing horror projects a little more challenging compared to doing drama.
Aside from movie and television acting, Avelino became also a recording artist releasing his self-titled album under Universal Records on October 1, 2012. His album Paulo Avelino is composed of six-tracks covers of OPM classic hits. The album is preceded by the first single, a cover of Restless Heart's "When She Cries". Avelino also released a music video for his second single, a cover of Alamid's "Your Love". Other tracks from the album included "Gaano Kadalas Ang Minsan", "Yakap Sa Dilim", "Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal" and "If You Believe".
2013-present: Recent and future projects
Avelino started the year 2013 in the pre-primetime series Kahit Konting Pagtingin, together with Angeline Quinto and Sam Milby. He also appeared on two independent films for Cinemalaya. The first was directed by Alvin Yapan and was titled Debosyon. He explained that he signed up on the film because of the surreal and magical treatment of the story about faith, religion and forbidden love. The dialogue, as well, is written in very poetic Bicolano. The other one was directed by Jerrold Tarog titled as Sana Dati, a bizarre story of a videographer and a bride. He also appeared as leading man of actresses Lovi Poe and Jennylyn Mercado on a highly charged erotic-drama romantic comedy film directed by Joel Lamangan, The Bride and the Lover.
Avelino later returned on the small screen with two Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes; "Notbook", and the first ever tandem with Angel Locsin on "Mask". Avelino did a tandem to Locsin after reports surfaced that he allegedly refused to work with the actress. He had backed out of Locsin's upcoming series The Legal Wife (formerly Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin) which they were supposed to headline. Avelino appeared in a lead role in the family drama series Honesto, wherein he reunited with his Walang Hanggan co-stars Melissa Ricks and Noni Buencamino. He also appeared on a romantic-comedy film directed by Chris Martinez entitled Status: It's Complicated, with Jake Cuenca, Solenn Heussaff, Maja Salvador, and veteran comedian Eugene Domingo. The movie is inspired and remaked by the 1979 classic sexy-comedy film Salawahan directed by Ishmael Bernal. In the 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival, he appeared in two entries; a lead role on Star Cinema's horror film Pagpag, and a cameo role on Kimmy Dora: The Quantum of Kiyeme.
|2008||Desperadas 2||Dr. Anton||Regal Films|
|2009||Yaya and Angelina: The Spoiled Brat Movie||Cameo Appearance||GMA Films
|Patient X||Robert||Viva Films
|Ang Panday||Pepe||GMA Films|
|Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow||Vincent|
|Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa||Marlon||Independent Film|
|2012||Shake, Rattle & Roll 14||Corp. Lamberto Upao||Regal Films|
|2013||The Bride and the Lover||Philip Albino|
|Sana Dati||Dennis Cesario|
|Status: It's Complicated||Jerry||Regal Films|
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||Roman||Star Cinema
|Kimmy Dora: Ang Kiyemeng Prequel||Cameo Role||Star Cinema
|2014||Heneral Luna||Independent Films
|Paulo Avelino - EP|
|Year||Award Giving Body||Category||Work||Result(s)|
|2012||Gawad Urian Awards||Best Actor||Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa||Won|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Drama)||Nominated|
|14th Pasado Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|ASAP Pop Viewer's Choice Awards||Pop Kapamilya TV Character||Nathan Montenegro (Walang Hanggan)||Nominated|
|2013||10th Golden Screen TV Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor||Walang Hanggan||Won|
|Anak TV Seal Awards||Most Admired Male Personality In Philippine TV||Honesto||Won|
- StarStruck alumnus Paulo Avelino transfers to Kapamilya network retrieved via www.pep.ph 08-16-2011
- FIRST HERE (with EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS) : CONFIRMED! Paulo Avelino, certified Kapamilya na! retrieved via www.push.com.ph 08-16-2011
- Paulo Avelino-Biography
- Paulo Avelino - Kapamilya Star, Biography Retrieved 11-11-2013
- Paulo Avelino Retrieved 11-11-2013
- Lo, Ricky (24 June 2012). "The triumph of Paulo Avelino". Philippine Star. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- StarStruck alumnus Paulo Avelino transfers to Kapamilya network by Elli Alipio posted on August 16, 2011.
- Manuel, Maureen (2 May 2013). "Behind his ‘bad boy’ image, Paulo Avelino reveals a true passion for his craft". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Erece, Dinno. "GMA-7 acquires exclusive rights to "Shaider"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dino. ""The Boys Next Door" premieres on May 27". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Babangon ako't dudurugin kita (2008– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dinno. "Friendship of Lovi Poe and Glaiza de Castro reportedly affected by their onscreen rivalry". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- ""Luna Mystika" airs starting Nov 17". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Luna Mystika (2008– ) Full Cast & Crew". IMDB. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Dapat ka bang mahalin? (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "All My Life (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Kris Bernal, Aljur Abrenica to star in a primetime soap". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Patient X". Film Biz Asia. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Teodoro, J.I. "Ang Panday 2: A timely preachy movie". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "GMA's Ilumina". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Calderon, Nora. "Paulo Avelino last to know he replaced JC de Vera in Panday Kids". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "THE CAST: "Panday Kids"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Paulino, Ver (2 June 2010). "Panday Kids: Final showdown". Philippine Star. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Aljur Abrenica surprised by StarStruck batchmate Paulo Avelino's decision to move to ABS-CBN Rommel Gonzales, PEP.ph.
- "Lovi Poe is torn between man (Paulo Avelino) and beast (Joem Bascon) in Aswang". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow’ power cast". Tempo. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Limjap, Ria. "What We Do For Love: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow". SPOT.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Vibas, Danny (7 October 2011). "’100 Days To Heaven’ bumaba ang ratings dahil kay Paulo Avelino". Remate. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino played an executive in 100 Days to Heaven". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (22 September 2011). "New stars to grace '100 Days to Heaven'". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Maalaala mo kaya Liham (22 Oct. 2011)". IMDb. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- GMA ‘Starstruck’ finalist Paulo Avelino now with ABS-CBN By Chuck Smith and Karen Valeza, Yahoo! Philippines.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "35th Gawad Urian winners honored; Maja Salvador and Paulo Avelino win top acting honors". PEP,ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "'Walang Hanggan' finale scores all-time high rating". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo shares dream ending for 'Walang Hanggan'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino: I learn from Coco Martin". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "MMFF REVIEW: Shake Rattle and Roll 14". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino finds horror more challenging". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino -EP". iTunes. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino turns singer, launches CD". ABS-CBNnews.com. Oct 2, 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino releases new music video". abs-cbnnews.com. December 5, 2012.
- "Angeline Quinto to be paired with Sam Milby and Paulo Avelino in her first teleserye". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Aquino, Tricia. "Paulo Avelino-starrer ‘Debosyon’ reveals tempting poster". InterAksyon. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Mendoza, Abby. "Paulo Avelino was almost replaced as lead star of Cinemalaya entry Debosyon". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Dumaual, Miguel. "What's next for Paulo Avelino". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "‘The Bride and the Lover’ hard to pin down". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Angel Locsin and Paolo Avelino team up for the first time on "MMK"". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Simeon, Francis. "Angel Locsin at Paulo Avelino, natuloy rin ang pagsasama". PinoyParazzi. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo works with Angel for first time in 'MMK'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Alno, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino, Maricar Reyes, and new child star Raikko Mateo uphold honesty in Honesto". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Solenn works with Maja and Jake new movie". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Marasigan, Zia. "‘Status: It’s Complicated:' A Joke Worth Repeating". Rappler. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Almo, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino's camp says actor's reported suicide attempt is "fabricated"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Macahindog, Jecelyn (26 September 2013). "Manager denies Paulo Avelino’s alleged suicide attempt". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Cruz, Marinel. "LJ Reyes: Paulo is a good dad to our son". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino - EP". iTunes.com. October 1, 2012.