Paulo S. L. M. Barreto
|Paulo S. L. M. Barreto|
19 November 1965 |
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
|Residence||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Institutions||Escola Politécnica, University of São Paulo|
|Alma mater||University of São Paulo|
|Known for||Cryptographic hash functions, Pairing-based cryptography, Post-quantum cryptography|
Paulo S. L. M. Barreto (born 1965) is a Brazilian cryptographer and one of the designers of the Whirlpool hash function and the block ciphers Anubis and KHAZAD, together with Vincent Rijmen. He has also co-authored a number of research works on elliptic curve cryptography and pairing-based cryptography, including the eta pairing technique, identity-based cryptographic protocols, and the family of Barreto-Naehrig (BN) pairing-friendly elliptic curves (together with Michael Naehrig). More recently he has been focussing his research on post-quantum cryptography, being one of the discoverers of quasi-dyadic codes (together with Rafael Misoczki). His paper "Efficient Algorithms for Pairing-Based Cryptosystems", jointly written with Hae Y. Kim, Ben Lynn and Mike Scott and presented at the Crypto 2002 conference, has been identified in March 2005 as a "Hot Paper", and in December 2005 as "Fast Breaking Paper", by Thomson ISI's Essential Science Indicators, by virtue of being among the top one-tenth of one percent (0.1%) most cited papers and by having the largest percentage increase in citations in the Computer Science category.
Barreto was born in Salvador, capital of the northeastern state of Bahia, Brazil. In 1987, he graduated in Physics at the University of São Paulo. He subsequently worked at Unisys Brazil Ltd and Scopus Tecnologia S/A as a software developer and then as chief cryptographer. Barreto received his Ph.D. degree in 2003. He has been awarded the SFI E. T. S. Walton Award 2008-2009. Currently he is associate professor at the Department of Computer and Digital Systems Engineering, Escola Politécnica, University of São Paulo.
- "Efficient pairing computation on supersingular Abelian varieties". Portal.acm.org. doi:10.1007/s10623-006-9033-6. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Pairing-Friendly Elliptic Curves of Prime Order - Springer". Springerlink.com. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "SAC 2009 Accepted Submissions | Selected Areas in Cryptography". Sac.ucalgary.ca. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Nancy Imelda Schafer, ISI (2005-12-01). "New Hot Paper Comment by Paulo S.L.M. Barreto". Esi-topics.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Nancy Imelda Schafer, ISI. "Fast Breaking Papers - December 2005". Esi-topics.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- [dead link]