|Born||Paulo Thiago Alencar Antunes
January 25, 1981
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||169 lb (77 kg; 12.1 st)|
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Brasilia, Brazil|
Black belt in |
Black belt in Judo 
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Paulo Thiago Alencar Antunes (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈpawlu tʃiˈaɡu]; born January 25, 1981) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, fighting in their Welterweight division. He is also a member of Polícia Militar do Distrito Federal and works for BOPE, a special forces unit in his hometown of Brasilia, Brazil.
Mixed martial arts
Thiago made his professional debut at Storm Samurai 8 in 2005. He fought Ricardo Petrucio and won the fight via submission in round three. His next three fights came on the same night almost a year after his debut. Thiago competed in the Grand Prix Planaltina, winning all three of his fights and became the tournament winner. Thiago finished all three of the fights by submission. After two more victories, Thiago was signed by Jungle Fights MMA. Thiago won four fights for the promotion before being signed by the Ultimate Fighting Championships.
He currently trains with the Constrictor Team, an affiliate of Team Black House; the famed gym of Anderson Silva and the Nogueira brothers.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Thiago never signed a contract before his fight against Koscheck, he was only able to acquire a tryout. Thiago made his UFC debut on February 21, 2009, scoring an upset victory over top contender Josh Koscheck at UFC 95. During the fight, commentator Joe Rogan commented that Thiago's striking looked inferior to Koscheck's. However, Thiago won the fight by KO, with a flush right uppercut and a left hook. The referee stopped the fight before Thiago could pounce on him. Koscheck immediately rose and argued that he was still alert and able to defend himself. Further review of the replay shows Koscheck's eyes roll back as he falls down, giving merit to the stoppage. At the post-fight conference, Dana White confirmed that Thiago had earned Knockout of the Night honors.
Thiago had his second fight in the UFC, fighting against former title challenger and Koscheck teammate Jon Fitch at UFC 100. This was Thiago's first fight in the United States and he lost via unanimous decision.
In Thiago's fourth outing in the UFC octagon, he was set to have a rematch against Josh Koscheck at UFC 109. However, Koscheck pulled out of the bout after an undisclosed injury and was replaced by AKA teammate Mike Swick. Thiago won via submission (D'arce Choke) in the second round and earned his second UFC fight bonus with the win.
Thiago lost his second straight fight via unanimous decision to Diego Sanchez on October 23, 2010 at UFC 121. Though Thiago started the fight off strong by winning the first round, he began to tire and eventually succumbed to the cardio and wrestling skills of Sanchez in the second and third rounds. The bout earned Fight of the Night, awarding both fighters an extra paycheck.
In November 2010, Thiago signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC. Thiago was expected to face Johny Hendricks on March 3, 2011, at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Thiago was forced out of the bout with an elbow injury.
Thiago faced Siyar Bahadurzada on April 14, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva. He was knocked out less than a minute into the first round after Siyar landed a right hook to the jaw that followed a left jab as Thiago was moving forward. This marked the first time Thiago had been finished in his career.
Thiago was expected to face Lance Benoist on May 18, 2013 at UFC on FX 8. However, on April 20, it was announced that Benoist had to pull out of the bout due to an injury. He was replaced by UFC newcomer Michel Prazeres. Thiago won the fight via unanimous decision.
Despite being 2–6 in his last eight fights inside the octagon, Thiago signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC in June 2014. He was expected to face Mike Rhodes at UFC Fight Night 51 on September 13, 2014. However, Rhodes was forced out of the bout due to injury and was briefly replaced by returning veteran Joe Riggs. Subsequently, Riggs was forced to pull out of the fight after accidentally shooting himself in the leg while cleaning a pistol at his home. Thiago instead faced Sean Spencer. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Thiago is married and has twins.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||15 wins||8 losses|
|Loss||15–8||Sean Spencer||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bigfoot vs. Arlovski||September 13, 2014||3||5:00||Brasília, Brazil|
|Loss||15–7||Gasan Umalatov||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale: Miocic vs. Maldonado||May 31, 2014||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Loss||15–6||Brandon Thatch||Submission (knee to the body & punches)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||1||2:10||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Win||15–5||Michel Prazeres||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Loss||14–5||Dong Hyun Kim||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Franklin vs. Le||November 10, 2012||3||5:00||Macau, SAR, China|
|Loss||14–4||Siyar Bahadurzada||KO (punch)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||1||0:42||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||14–3||David Mitchell||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 134||August 27, 2011||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||13–3||Diego Sanchez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||13–2||Martin Kampmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 115||June 12, 2010||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||13–1||Mike Swick||Technical Submission (D'arce choke)||UFC 109||February 6, 2010||2||1:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Win||12–1||Jacob Volkmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 106||November 21, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–1||Jon Fitch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 100||July 11, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–0||Josh Koscheck||KO (punch)||UFC 95||February 21, 2009||1||3:29||London, England||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||10–0||Luiz Dutra||TKO (knee injury)||Jungle Fight 11||September 13, 2008||1||0:40||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||9–0||Ferrid Kheder||Decision (unanimous)||Jungle Fight 10||July 12, 2008||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||8–0||Paulo Cavera||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Jungle Fight 9: Warriors||May 31, 2008||1||N/A||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||7–0||Leonardo Pecanha||Decision (unanimous)||Jungle Fight 8||April 6, 2008||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–0||Fernando Bettega||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Capital Fight 1||December 14, 2007||1||2:02||Brasilia, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Franklin Careli||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Conquista Fight 3||May 12, 2007||2||0:37||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Igor Maux||Submission (anaconda choke)||Grand Prix Planaltina||October 13, 2006||1||1:06||Planaltina, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Diogo Almeida||Submission (guillotine choke)||Grand Prix Planaltina||October 13, 2006||3||1:21||Planaltina, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Marcone Bezerra||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Grand Prix Planaltina||October 13, 2006||3||1:31||Planaltina, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Ricardo Petrucio||Submission (triangle choke)||Storm Samurai 8||July 2, 2005||3||1:36||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Miocic vs. Maldonado". UFC.com. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "UFC Fight Night 32: Brandon Thatch vs. Paulo Thiago Preview". LowKickMMA.com. November 7, 2013.
- "Report: Koscheck set to face newcomer Thiago at UFC 95". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "Paulo Thiago Gets a Tryout at UFC 95, Not a Contract". cagepotato.com. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "Paulo Thiago reportedly meets UFC newcomer Jacob Volkmann at UFC 106". MMAJunkie. October 26, 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- "Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago II Being Targeted for UFC 109 in February". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "Mike Swick Replaces Josh Koscheck, Will Face Paulo Thiago at UFC 109". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Martin Kampmann vs. Paulo Thiago in works for UFC 115". lasvegassun.com. Retrieved 2010-03-09.
- "SANCHEZ VS. THIAGO FACE OFF AT UFC 121". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2010-07-21.[dead link]
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Paulo Thiago targeted for UFC on Versus 3". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- "Paulo Thiago scratched from UFC on Versus 3, Johny Hendricks in limbo". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Welterweights Thiago, Mitchell Matched for UFC ‘Rio’". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Pyle at UFC 142". tatame.com. November 22, 2011.
- "Replacement Ricardo Funch meets Mike Pyle at UFC 142 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. December 17, 2011.
- "Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago added to UFC on FUEL TV 2". mmajunkie.com. January 6, 2012.
- "Dong Hyun Kim Vs. Paulo Thiago Planned For UFC On Fuel 6 In China". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Staff (March 1, 2013). "Paulo Thiago vs. Lance Benoist added to UFC on FX 8 in Brazil". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Benoist out, Michel Prazeres meets Paulo Thiago at UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Staff (2013-06-04). "Kelvin Gastelum vs. Paulo Thiago slated for UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Dave Doyle (2013-07-22). "Paulo Thiago forced out of bout with Kelvin Gastelum due to knee injury". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Guilherme Cruz. "Thatch vs. Thiago, Sicilia vs. Castro added to UFN 32". bloodyelbow. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- Staff (2014-03-05). "Paulo Thiago encara o russo Gasan Umalatov no TUF Brasil 3 Finale (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-06-19). "Despite skid, Paulo Thiago signs new four-fight deal with UFC". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Jacob Cooper (2014-07-13). "Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Rhodes set for UFC Fight Night 51". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Anton Tabuena (2014-07-24). "Report: Joe Riggs returns to UFC, set to face Paulo Thiago at UFN 51". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- Dann Stupp and Steven Marrocco (2014-07-29). "Joe Riggs out of UFC Fight Night 51 after injury from accidental shooting". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- Jason Floyd (July 29, 2014). "Sean Spencer replaces Joe Riggs and meets Paulo Thiago at UFC Fight Night 51". themmareport.com. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "UFC's Brazilian Connection". UFCTICKETS.ws. 2010-06-02. Retrieved 2010-06-14.