The Pauson–Khand reaction (or PKR or PK-type reaction) is a chemical reaction described as a [2+2+1] cycloaddition between an alkyne, an alkene and carbon monoxide to form a α,β-cyclopentenone. The reaction was discovered by Ihsan Ullah Khand (1935-1980), who was working as a postdoctoral associate with Peter Ludwig Pauson (1925-2013) at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. This reaction was originally mediated by stoichiometric amounts of dicobalt octacarbonyl, but newer versions are both more efficient and catalytic.
The reaction works with both terminal and internal alkynes although internal alkynes tend to give lower yields. The order of reactivity for the alkene is strained cyclic alkene > terminal alkene > disubstituted alkene > trisubstituted alkene. Unsuitable alkenes are tetrasubstituted alkenes and alkenes with strongly electron withdrawing groups.
- P. L. Pauson and I. U. Khand. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1977, 295, 2.
- Blanco-Urgoiti, J.; Añorbe, L.; Pérez-Serrano, L.; Domínguez, G.; Pérez-Castells, J. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2004, 33, 32. doi:10.1039/b300976a
- H. Werner. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 3309. doi:10.1002/anie.201400432
- Schore, N. E. "The Pauson–Khand Cycloaddition Reaction for Synthesis of Cyclopentenones" Org. React., 1991, 40, 1. doi:10.1002/0471264180.or040.01
- S. E. Gibson and A. Stevenazzi "The Pauson–Khand Reaction: the Catalytic Age Is Here!" Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2003, 42, 1800-1810. doi:10.1002/anie.200200547
- Jeong, Nakcheol; Hwang, Sung Hee; Lee, Youngshin; Chung, Young Keun (1994). "Catalytic version of the Intramolecular Pauson-Khand Reaction". Journal of the American Chemical Society 116 (7): 3159. doi:10.1021/ja00086a070.
- Strategic applications of named reactions in organic synthesis: background and details mechanisms 2007 László Kürti,Barbara Czakó
- Nakcheol Jeong, Byung Ki Sung, Jin Sung Kim, Soon Bong Park,Sung Deok Seo, Jin Young Shin, Kyu Yeol In, Yoon Kyung Choi Pauson–Khand-type reaction mediated by Rh(I) catalysts Pure Appl. Chem., Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 85–91, 2002. (Online article)
- Kent, J (1995). "A new allenic Pauson-Khand cycloaddition for the preparation of α-methylene cyclopentenones". Tetrahedron Letters 36 (14): 2407. doi:10.1016/0040-4039(95)00315-4.
- Intramolecular [2+2+1] Cycloadditions with (Cyclobutadiene)tricarbonyliron Benjamin A. Seigal, Mi Hyun An, Marc L. Snapper Angewandte Chemie International Edition Volume 44, Issue 31 , Pages 4929 - 4932 2005. doi:10.1002/anie.200501100