||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Czech Wikipedia. (April 2013)|
|Mayor of Prague|
November 28, 2002 – November 30, 2010
|Preceded by||Igor Němec|
|Succeeded by||Bohuslav Svoboda|
July 18, 1963 |
|Political party||ODS - Civic Democratic Party|
|Children||2 - Jáchym, Matouš|
|Alma mater||Charles University in Prague,|
Pavel Bém (born July 18, 1963) is a Czech physician and politician. Between November 28, 2002 and November 30, 2010 he served as the Mayor of the Capital City of Prague, re-elected 2006. On November 19, 2006, he was elected Deputy Leader of the Civic Democratic Party.
Bém studied medicine at the Charles University in Prague, specializing in psychiatry and subsequently devoted most of his medical career to the treatment of drug addiction. He served on a government anti-narcotics commission.
He ran for the leader of his party, but lost.
Bém has many interests besides his political career, including mountain climbing, sea diving, and playing the piano. On May 18, 2007, Bem fulfilled his "childhood dream" of reaching the peak of Mt. Everest. On August 1, 2012, he climbed second highest peak in the world and the most difficult eight-thousander, K2 (together with Peter Hamor, without supplemental oxygen).
Bém is a close friend of billionaire Roman Janoušek.
- "ODS v Praze 1 po tahanicích nepodpořila Béma ani Topolánka". Novinky.cz. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Lazarová, Daniela (May 29, 2007). "Prague's lord mayor climbs Mount Everest and comes down to earth with a bump". Radio Prague. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Polski Himalaizm Zimowy". Polskihimalaizmzimowy.pl. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Zuzana Kaiserová, Bém se vzdal regulovaného nájmu. Vydělal tak 3,5 milionu, iDNES, 26. května 2009
- Official website (English version also present)
- Civic Democratic Party (in English)
- Civic Democratic Party Prague
|This article about a mayor in the Czech Republic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|