Pawan Kumar Bansal
|Pawan Kumar Bansal|
|Former Union minister Pawan Kumar Bansal|
|Former Minister of Indian Railway|
28 October 2012 - 10 May 2013
|Prime Minister||Manmohan Singh|
|Succeeded by||C. P. Joshi|
|Minister of Parliamentary Affairs|
28 May 2009 – 28 October 2012
16 July 1948 |
sunam, sangrur district, Punjab
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|As of May 28, 2009
Pawan Kumar Bansal (born 16 July 1948) is an Indian National Congress politician and a former minister in Manmohan Singh government. He represented Chandigarh constituency in the 15th Lok Sabha of India. He served as Union Cabinet Minister, Railways From 28 October 2012 to 10 May 2013 
Bansal was born on 16 July 1948 in Sunam. His family hailed from Tapa, Punjab. He went to school at the Yadavindra Public School, Patiala, and did BSc from the Government College, Sector 11, Chandigarh. He also holds an LLB degree from the Department of Law, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Bansal has represented Chandigarh as a member of Parliament in the 10th, 13th, 14th and 15th Lok Sabha. He has worked as the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and the Minister of Water Resources in the current Lok Sabha. He also held the charge of the Minister of State for Finance and Parliamentary Affairs in the First Manmohan Singh Cabinet.
He took over as the Railway Minister, becoming the first from his party since 1996. Soon after becoming Railways minister, he approved an increase in fares, which has been unchanged for the last 15 years, to allow the Indian Railways to be profitable.He contested the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from Chandigarh.
Railway Budget 2013
Railway Minister Pawan Bansal in 2013 Railway Budget focused on improvement of the condition of Indian Railways. Pawan Bansal came up with first ever rail link to connect Arunachal Pradesh. Internet ticketing from 0030 hours to 2330 hours as well as E-ticketing through mobile phones. Four companies of women RPF personnel set up and another 8 to be set up to strengthen the security of rain passengers, especially women passengers. Railways has identified 104 stations for upgradation in cities with more than one million population and of religious significance. This means, these stations the Railways will give attention to all aspects related to cleanliness, according to the Budget highlights the government released. 179 escalators and 400 lifts at A-1 and other major stations to be installed facilitating elderly and differently-able.
He is married to Madhu Bansal. They have two sons.
Incident of Corruption Charges
After the scam came to light in May, the CBI interrogated Pawan Kumar Bansal, Congress MP from Chandigarh, for ten hours, but failed to find substantial evidence to nail him.In his statement, Bansal denied having any knowledge of his nephew’s activities.
CBI does not have any tapped conversation which shows that former Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal was involved in or had any knowledge of the Rs 10 crore cash for post bribery scandal, which prompted the agency not to make him an accused in the case, sources said here today.
The CBI said that Mr Bansal will serve as prosecution witness. The judge has responded. "If the CBI has chosen to make Mr Bansal a witness, then at this juncture, there being no evidence against him, the court cannot pass any order or question him, except during the trial."
- "Fifteenth Lok Sabha - Members Bioprofile". Lok Sabha. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Detailed Profile: Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal". india.gove.in. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "Residents hopeful from railway minister Pawan Bansalâ€™s maiden visit". The Times of India. 11 Dec 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Biographical Sketch - Member of Parliament". Parliament of India. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Detailed Profile - Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal - Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha) - Who's Who - Government: National Portal of India[dead link]
- "Railway minister's wife Madhu Bansal on Budget 2013". IndiaTV News. February 25, 2013.
- Abhishek Bhalla (5 May 2013). "Bansal refuses to quit despite revelations that CBI tracked nephew Singla and Kumar in three-month investigation". London: dailymail.co.uk.
- "Pawan Kumar Bansal gets CBI clean chit as CBI files charge sheet". dna India. July 3, 2013.
C. P. Joshi
|Minister of Railways
28 Oct 2012 – 10 May 2013
C. P. Joshi
|Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
|Minister of Water Resources