Peabody Academy of Science
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Peabody Museum of Salem. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2012.|
The Peabody Academy of Science (1868-1915) in Salem, Massachusetts, successor to the East India Marine Society, "was organized in 1868, having received funds ... from George Peabody of London ... for the 'promotion of science and useful knowledge in the county of Essex.'" It was incorporated by "Asa Gray, of Cambridge, William C. Endicott, of Salem, George Peabody Russell, of Salem, Othniel C. Marsh, of New Haven, ... Henry Wheatland, of Salem, Abner C. Goodell, junior, of Salem, James R. Nichols, of Haverhill, ... Henry C. Perkins, of Newburyport, and S. Endicott Peabody.
The academy maintained a museum that displayed animals, fossils, minerals, and plants, as well as ethnological artifacts such as weapons, costume, tools, statuary, and musical instruments. In 1915 the Academy changed its name to the Peabody Museum of Salem.
- Charles Edward Trow (1905). Old Shipmasters of Salem. G.P. Putnam's Sons.
- An act to incorporate the Trustees of the Peabody Academy of Science, 1868
- Visitor's Catalogue of the Museum of the Peabody Academy of Science. Salem, Mass.: Peabody Academy of Science. 1879.
- "An Act to Change the Name of the Trustees of the Peabody Academy of Science to Peabody Museum of Salem", Acts and Resolves Passed by the General Court of Massachusetts, 1915
Publications of the academy
- Peabody Academy of Science (1867-), Annual report, Salem
- Memoirs of the Peabody Academy of Science, Salem, Mass., 1869–1886
- Edward Sylvester Morse (1900), Brief Sketch of the Peabody Academy of Science
About the academy
- T.F. Hunt (1880), "Peabody Academy of Science", Visitor's Guide to Salem, Salem, Mass.: H.P. Ives, OCLC 10361879
- Henry Phillips, Jr. (1883). "Brief Account of the More Important Public Collections of American Archæology in the United States". Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 21. "Peabody Academy of Science, Salem, Mass."
- "Peabody Academy of Science". Salem Directory. Boston: Sampson, Murdock & Co. 1886.
- "Salem, Mass.: Peabody Academy of Science". Handbook of Learned Societies and Institutions: America. Carnegie Institution of Washington. 1908.
- Massachusetts: Salem: Peabody Academy of Science, "Directory of American Museums", Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences (New York) 10, 1910–1912
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peabody Academy of Science.|
- Digital Public Library of America. Items related to Peabody Academy of Science, Salem, various dates