- This is the article about the delivery service. For the actual pod, see pea and for the electric vehicle, see GEM Peapod.
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (June 2012)|
Peapod, LLC is an online grocery delivery service. The company is based in Skokie, Illinois, and operates in several US cities. It is owned by Royal Ahold, and delivers from that company's stores, as well as from its own Chicago-area warehouses.
Peapod was founded in 1989 by Andrew and Thomas Parkinson, both of whom are still executive officers. One early proposal for a name for the new company was IPOD for Information and Product On Demand, The brothers, taking marketing considerations into account, decided on the friendlier sounding "Peapod" instead. Before 1996, it provided an on-line grocery shopping service in partnership with Jewel in Chicago and surrounding towns; Safeway in San Francisco, California; Randall's in Houston, Texas; and Kroger in Columbus, Ohio.
In 1996, it launched its website and became one of the earliest internet start-ups; the company ranked 69th on the Inc. 500 list of fast-growing privately held US companies. That year the company held an IPO on NASDAQ. Between 1997 and 2000, Peapod expanded into Boston and Watertown, Massachusetts, Long Island, New York, and Norwalk, Connecticut in partnership with Stop & Shop. In late 2000, they added Washington, DC and surrounding towns through Giant of Landover, and in 2011 they also started serving the Philadelphia market with Giant of Carlisle and started serving Manhattan with Stop & Shop.
In June, 2000, Worldwide grocery giant Royal Ahold bought 51% of Peapod's shares. In August 2001, Royal Ahold bought out the entire company. As a result, Peapod cancelled its contracts with all grocery companies except for Royal Ahold's two main American chains, Stop & Shop and Giant Food. This caused Peapod to abandon San Francisco, Houston, and Columbus entirely.
In February 2012, Peapod introduced signs at select SEPTA Regional Rail stations in Philadelphia where smartphone users could shop for groceries by using the Peapod app on their phone and scanning the barcodes of select items, with the groceries delivered to their homes later in the day.
Peapod delivers to many neighborhoods in the following metropolitan areas in the United States:
- Northern Virginia cities and counties
- Washington, D.C.
Peapod's Chicago-based warehouse:
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Gopher Grocery
- Grocery Gateway
- Pink Dot
- ShopRite (United States)
- Winder Farms
- "Corporate Fact Sheet." Peapod. Retrieved on February 15, 2011. "Corporate Headquarters 9933 Woods Drive, Skokie, IL 60077 ."
- Greenspan, Lorie (Volume 3, Issue 1). "PEAPOD, LLC - Two Peas in a Pod". Industry Today. Positive Publications LLC - Industry Today. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Peapod LP - Evanston, IL - The Inc.5000". Mansueto Ventures LLC. Retrieved Jun 19 2012.
- We've now delivering to Philadelphia and Southeastern Pennsylvania!
- We've just added more zip codes to our delivery area in Manhattan!
- "The Grocery Store of the Future". The Atlantic. February 24, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2012.