Pearl (Katy Perry song)
|Song by Katy Perry from the album Teenage Dream|
|Released||August 24, 2010|
|Recorded||2010; Rocket Carousel Studio
(Los Angeles, California)
|Genre||Electronic rock, trance, electronic|
|Writer||Katy Perry, Greg Wells|
|Producer||Katy Perry, Greg Wells|
"Pearl" is a song by American recording artist and songwriter Katy Perry from her album Teenage Dream. She wrote the song with Greg Wells, and the instrumentation was provided by both of them. Musically, "Pearl" is an electro-rock ballad, which also heavily utilizes trance and electronic music. Lyrically, the song shows a vulnerable side to Perry, as she sings about "an outgoing, strong young woman who lets a guy keep her in the dark." Upon the release of Teenage Dream in South Korea, "Pearl" debuted at number 150 on the South Korea Gaon International Chart.
Background and production 
In an interview with MTV News, Katy spoke about the making of "Pearl", calling it the albums "crowning jewel":
"I did one more song with [producer] Greg Wells, and it was called 'Pearl'..... And it was kind of just like, 'All right, now I have this crown, and I have all these jewels, and I can put these little jewels into the crown, and I feel like it's a complete presentation, something I'm really proud of..... So, after recording Teenage Dream rather quickly, "Pearl" became its crowning jewel..... It only took six months [to make Teenage Dream], which is like lightning speed, but I think that I wouldn't be starting again with this new record if I didn't feel like this was my best foot forward."
"Pearl" was written by Katy Perry and Greg Wells, with both of them producing the song. Both Perry and Wells contributed towards the instrumentation of the song, with Perry playing the guitar, and Wells playing the drums and piano. It was recorded by Lewis Tozour, and was mixed by Serban Ghenea and John Hanes. Tim Roberts also served as an assistant to both Ghena and Hanes. "Pearl" was mixed at the Rocket Carousel Studio in Los Angeles, along with another Teenage Dream song, "Not Like the Movies".
"Pearl" is a mid-tempo electro-rock ballad which utilizes trance and electronic music within its composition. "Pearl" is written in the key of A minor, and the tempo moves at 112 beats per minute over a moderate beat. Perry's vocal range in the song spans from the lower note of G3 to the higher note of C5. Lyrically, the song is about: "a woman who used to light up the world; a strong and vibrant human being who had the world in her arms. But now she is trapped in the darkness that is a man who has taken all her confidence and strength."
Live performances 
"Pearl" was performed by Perry on her world tour, the California Dreams Tour, as part of the shows setlist. The performance opens with two acrobatic dancers twirling on trapeze's in the air while Katy begins to sing. While in the air, the dancers were lowered close to the floor, and proceeded to make a chair using their legs. Perry than sat on the chair, and the dancers and Perry were raised 40 feet into the air as the song finished. The performance received mainly positive reviews from critics. Both Jay Miller of the Patriot Ledger and Jordana Borensztajn of Nova 96.9 declared the performance of "Pearl" as a highlight of the tour, with Borensztajn calling it "god-like", and going on to say the number: "oozed a sense of tranquility through the whole venue."
Track listing 
- Digital download
- "Pearl" – 4:10
Credits and personnel 
Credits adapted from the Teenage Dream liner notes.
- Katy Perry – songwriting, producing, vocals, guitar
- Greg Wells – songwriting, producing, drums, piano, programming
- Lewis Tozour – recording
- Serban Ghenea – mixing
- John Hanes – mix engineer
- Tim Roberts – assistant
Upon the release of Teenage Dream, "Pearl" debuted and peaked at number 150 on the issue date of January 3, 2010, on the South Korea Gaon International Songs Chart. The song was the eighth highest debuting album track from its parent album.
|South Korea Gaon International Chart||150|
- Vena, Jocelyn (August 23, 2010). "Katy Perry Says 'Pearl' Is Her Album's Crowning Jewel". MTV News. Viacom Media Networks. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- Perry, Katy (2010). Teenage Dream (Liner Notes) (Compact Disc). Katy Perry. Los Angeles, California: Capitol Records.
- Lee, Ricky (August 24, 2010). "CD Review: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream". Panic Manual. Panic Manual. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Hicks, Dara (September 4, 2010). "Album Review: Katy Perry - 'Teenage Dream'". Unreality Shout. Unreality TV. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- "Album review: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream". Fife Today. Johnston Press. August 26, 2012. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- "Katy Perry – Pearl Sheet Music (Digital Download)". Musicnotes.com. Sony-ATV Music Publishing. Retrieved August 8, 2012.
- Garcia, Melissa (August 29, 2010). "Music In Review: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream". OC Reloaded. OC Reloaded. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Miller, Jay (June 20, 2011). "Katy Perry’s California dreams rock TD Garden". Patriot Ledger. GateHouse Media. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- Borensztajn, Jordana (April 28, 2011). "Review: Katy Perry's California Dream became an Australian reality". Nova 96.9. DMG Radio Australia. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "Pearl – Single by Katy Perry". Capitol Records. iTunes Store. August 24, 2010. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week, August 29, 2010 to September 4, 2010)" (To access the applicable chart, change "년 (Year)" to "2010" and select the week) (in Korean). Gaon Chart. Retrieved August 8, 2012.