|Birth name||Rosemary Patricia Sebert|
|Also known as||Patricia Rose Sebert, P. Sebert, Sebert, D. Sebert, Pebe Seber|
March 17, 1956 |
|Genres||Pop, country, dance-pop, Rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar|
|Associated acts||Kesha, Hugh Moffatt, Iggy Pop|
Rosemary Patricia "Pebe" Sebert (born March 17, 1956) is an American singer-songwriter from Brentwood, Tennessee who is the mother of singer-songwriter Kesha. Pebe is best known for co-writing number-one hits for Dolly Parton, Pitbull and Kesha. Sebert and Kesha have written eleven released songs together. The songs Sebert wrote for other artists have combined sales of over 8 million copies in the United States alone. Since 2013, Sebert has been appearing as a regular on reality show Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life, which stars Kesha and is filmed by her son Lagan.
In the 1970s, Sebert wrote "Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You" with then husband Hugh Moffatt for American Country singer Joe Sun for his album of the same name "Old Flames". Joe's version soon became a hit reaching a peak of fourteen on the Billboard Hot Country singles chart. Two years after Joe's version was released, Country singer Dolly Parton recorded a cover for her album Dolly, Dolly, Dolly. Dolly Parton's version of Old Flames became a huge hit by peaking on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart at number one. "Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You" was later covered by many artists, including Sebert's daughter Kesha, who covered it for her Extended play Deconstructed.
In 2004, Sebert lent her vocals on X-Mas Balls' debut Holiday album, She Left Me For Rudolph. Sebert sang "If I was an Angel" with Ned McElroy and Jerry Williams.
In May 2005, Pebe and her two kids Kesha and Lagan starred in an episode of the hit reality series "The Simple Life" which stars Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. The episode was titled "The Wedding Planner" and aired on May 12, 2005. In the episode, Sebert lets the stars of the show Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie stay at her house while they attempt at planning a wedding and eventually try and set Pebe up on a date with the help of Pebe's daughter Kesha.
In 2010 Sebert co-wrote her daughter Kesha's hit song "Your Love Is My Drug" which became a top ten single in nine countries and also reached triple platinum in the U.S. Later in that same year, Pebe and her daughter Kesha gave away their songs "Disgusting" to Pop Singer Miranda Cosgrove for her debut album and "Time of Our Lives" to Miley Cyrus for her debut EP also titled "Time of Our Lives".
In 2012, Sebert co-wrote "Warrior", "Dirty Love", and "Wonderland" for Kesha's sophomore album Warrior. Sebert also provided backing vocals for the tracks "Dirty Love" which featured Iggy Pop and "Gold Trans Am".
In April 2013, Sebert started appearing on her daughter, Kesha's Reality show Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life which is filmed by her son Lagan. Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life airs on MTV. The first season premiered on April 23, 2013 and ended on May 28, 2013. The first season had documented Kesha's life as she goes on her first solo tour and works on her second album, Warrior. The second season featured Kesha spending more time at home and taking a much needed break from tour, season two also featured Pebe's youngest son Louie who hadn't appeared on season one. Season two premiered on October 30, 2013 and ended on December 18, 2013.
In 2013, Pebe contributed to writing her daughter Kesha and American rapper Pitbull's hit single "Timber". Timber was released on October 2, 2013 and ended up becoming a top ten single in twenty-eight countries and number one in twelve countries.
On December 31, 2013, Kesha released a music video for "Dirty Love" which Sebert provided her songwriting talents and vocals for. The video currently has over 1 million views.
Sebert was married to Hugh Moffatt with whom she wrote "Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You". They had one child together, Lagan Sebert. They divorced in 1984 after being married for seven years.
In 1987, Sebert gave birth to a daughter, Kesha Rose Sebert. Sebert frequently brought Kesha and her brothers along to recording studios and encouraged Kesha to sing. Sebert moved the family to Nashville, Tennessee in 1991 after securing a new publishing deal for her songwriting.
After Sebert and Kesha claimed that they didn't know who Kesha's father was, Chamberlain approached Star Magazine in 2011 with pictures and letters, claiming them as proof that they had been in regular contact as father and daughter before she turned 19.
Sebert checked into a Lemont, Illinois rehab in January 2014. She claimed that she had post-traumatic stress disorder from the trauma of Kesha being attacked by her record label, and Dr. Luke. Sebert has admitted that she is a drug addict and alcoholic and has taken Kesha to AA meetings with her since Kesha was 1 year old.
|2004||"If I Was An Angel"||She Left Me For Rudolph||Ned McElroy, Jerry Williams|
Awards and nominations
BMI Pop Music Awards
|2005||The Simple Life||Herself||"Wedding Planner" (Season 3, Episode 15)|
|2013–present||Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life||Herself||Series regular (14 Episodes)|
- "Pebe Sebert Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - May 09, 2014". RIAA. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Ke$ha following mom's country music lead?". The Tennessean. Carol Hudler. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 262.
- Pebe Sebert. "Pebe Sebert | Songs". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Steffen Hung. "Pitbull feat. Ke$ha - Timber". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Pitbull - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Steffen Hung. "Pitbull feat. Ke$ha - Timber". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Day, Elizabeth (November 29, 2010). "She's a walking, talking living dollar". The Guardian (UK). Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- Still, Jennifer. "Ke$ha dad: 'She lied about knowing me'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Telling, Gillian. "Ke$ha's Mom, Pebe Sebert, Checks Into Rehab Center With Daughter". People.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- *Please enter your name. "Kesha's Mom Pebe Sebert Checks Into Rehab With Her". Popcrush.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Ke$ha's Mom Speaks Out: "She Doesn't Have a Drinking Problem"". Celebuzz.com. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Ke$ha's mother Pebe Sebert: My daughter's not in rehab for alcohol, she's bulimic | Story | Wonderwall". Wonderwall.msn.com. 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "2011 BMI Pop Music Award List | Press". BMI.com. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2014-05-09.