Pedro Costa (musician)
|Origin||North Bay, Ontario, Canada|
|Years active||2008 – present|
|Associated acts||Fetal Pulse, Dove Pilot|
Pedro Costa is a Canadian composer, singer, songwriter, guitarist, and music producer from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, now living in North Bay. He first achieved notability in Poland where he received national airplay, and had two songs in the top 50 Polish singles chart. He now also has several television credits.
Driven by his passion for songwriting Pedro's solo recording debut came in 2008 with the Portuguese single "A beira da estrada". This was the followed by his first Alternative Rock EP "The Light". Recorded in 2009, it has generated Pedro's biggest success to date. Discovered online by Polish radio producer and personality Piotr Baron the song went on to chart in Poland's singles chart. The Light reached a peek position of 11th on 5 May 2009 (see Charts). And was ranked 85th overall for 2009. According to Costa, "The Light" was also played nationally in Portugal by Rádio Renascença. Some success also came in Costa's native Canada. In 2010 "Fooled Again?" was discovered by CBC radio producer Amanda Putz and featured on CBC Radio 1 show Bandwidth. The track also made the CBC radio 3 track of the day. "A serious part-time activity for him... Well, that part-time activity is not doing too bad..." - Amanda Putz
After several other singles releases and collaborative efforts his first full length album "Discovery" was released March 2011.
Film and Television
Pedro's music has had placements on ABC, NBC, CBS, TLC, CTV, CNN, SyFy, National Geographic, Headline News, RTL4, RTL8, CNBC, Bravo, Esquire, Oxygen, TruTv, FoxSports2, Investigation Discovery, Fuse, Dave (UK), TV2 Zebra (Norway), MSG Network, History, Telemundo, Discovery channel, Comedy Central, Travel Channel, MTV, WE, E!, AMC, Slice, Cloo, Spike TV, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, WGN America, Science, and FOX. His first TV licensing deal came from an original rendition of the song made famous by Johnny Cash, "God’s Gonna Cut You Down"
Emmy Award winning TV Producer Bill Pruitt had this to say:
“The marriage of music and film has always been an extremely important part of my storytelling. In rendering the controversial world of medical marijuana as seen through the eyes of both growers and law enforcement, there was no better song to summon woe than “God’s Gonna Cut You Down.” Johnny Cash owned it top to bottom in how his version was reverent and mean. Nobody, we thought, could touch it. Nevertheless, we reached out to this kid somebody knew up in northern Ontario who offered to give it a go. By the time Pedro Costa’s opening guitar riff settled down, we knew we were in the hands of a master. It was astronaut music in bedlam. So tight, so mean, so angry and exhilarating. He set the tone. Then came his voice. Seasick and blasphemous, mournful and foreboding, he bit out the lyrics from faraway, his voice tweaked by some digital mastering, an artist’s touch. By the time it was over, he owned it every bit as much as the Man in Black. Pedro is a thief in the night, stealing songs you can’t imagine being done any other way and making them his own.”
- The Journey: Big Ten Football 2014 (Big Ten Network) (2014)
- Fools Gold (Discovery Channel) (2014)
- Alien Encounters (Science) (2014)
- American Pickers (History) (2014)
- Holland's Got Talent (RTL4) (2014)
- UFC Reloaded '12 (MSG Network) (2014)
- Fat N’ Furious: Rolling Thunder (Discovery) (2014)
- Mega RV Countdown (Travel Channel) (2014)
- The Pecos League (FoxSports1) (2014)
- Movie Night (CTV) (2014)
- Knife Fight (Esquire) (2014)
- America Now (FOX) (2014)
- Wives With Knives (Investigation Discovery) (2014)
- Game Of Arms (AMC) (2014)
- Kids' Choice Awards (Nickelodeon) (2014)
- Marriage Boot Camp (WE) (2014)
- Catch A Contractor (Spike) (2014)
- Opposite Worlds (SyFy) (2014)
- NCAA Men of March (CBS) (2013)
- Steve Harvey (NBC) (2013)
- Dukes Of Haggle (Discovery Channel) (2013)
- Lost & Sold (Slice) (2014)
- Risky Listing (Esquire) (2013)
- WGN News at 9 (WGN America) (2013)
- What Not To Wear (TLC) (2013)
- Buzzworthy (MTV) 2013
- The Mindy Project (FOX) (2013)
- Family Beef (National Geographic) (2013)
- Porter Ridge (Discovery Channel) (2013)
- The Great Santini Brothers (promo) (History) (2013)
- Al Rojo Vivo con María Celeste (Telemundo) (2013)
- Snapped: Killer Couples (Oxygen Network) (2013)
- Un Nuevo Dia (Telemundo) (2013)
- Fuse News (Fuse) (2013)
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (TLC) (2013)
- Toddlers & Tiaras (TLC) (2013)
- UFC Ultimate Insider (Fuel TV) (2013)
- Storage Hunters (promo) (TruTV) (2013)
- Welcome to Myrtle Manor (TLC) (2013)
- Weed Country (Discovery Channel) (2013)
- Back to the Beginning (ABC) (2012)
- The Light (2009)
- Pie In The Sky (2010)
- Discovery (2011)
|The Light||Polish Singles Chart||11||2 May 2009|
|Can't Get Through||Polish Singles Chart||45||13 March 2010|
- "2009 Polish singles of the year".
- Costa, Pedro. "The Light on Rádio Renascença".
- "CBC radio 3 track of the day". radio3
.cbc .ca. CBC Radio 3. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Notowanie nr 1422z dnia02.05.2009" [Polish Singles Chart Listing No 1422z for 2 May 2009]. lp3
.polskieradio .pl (in Polish). Retrieved 12 March 2011.
- "Polish Singles Chart".