Pedro Pablo Edmunds Paoa
|Pedro Pablo Edmunds Paoa|
|Governor of Easter Island (Rapa Nui)|
March 2010 – August 2010
|Preceded by||Melania Carolina Hotu Hey|
|Succeeded by||Carmen Cardinali Paoa|
July 1, 1961 |
Easter Island, Chile
|Political party||Christian Democratic Party (Chile)|
Pedro Pablo Petero Edmunds Paoa (born 1 July 1961) is a Chilean Christian Democrat politician. He served as the Governor of the Easter Island Province from March 2010 to August 2010. He was previously mayor of Easter Island Commune.
He recently threatened the Chilean government with the unilateral independence, in response to the attempt to launch a casino in Easter Island, without the approval of the population.
He is a supporter of the island autonomy from Valparaíso region, saying this would allow islanders to handle the problems locally rather than rely on an official "more than 4000 kilometers and you do not know the island".
His appointment as Easter Island governor sparked protests from indigenous Polynesians on the island, who feared he planned land deals. In response the "Rapa Nui Parliament", a group of indigenous Polynesians, occupied government buildings, demanded Paoa's resignation and wrote to the Pacific Islands Forum saying they wanted to secede from Chile. Edmunds resigned from office in early August 2010. He was temporarily replaced by Jorge Miranda, a lawyer, as interim governor following his resignation. Edmunds' permanent successor, Carmen Cardinali, was appointed Governor in September 2010.
- Pascuenses claman por autonomia (Article in Spanish), El Mercurio, 6 September 2004
- Easter Island's indigenous leaders want to sever link with Chile, The Guardian, 13 August 2010
- Easter Island's governor quits ahead of push to join Oceania, Radio Australia News, 17 August 2010
- "Gobernador de Isla de Pascua presentó su renuncia al cargo". Radio Cooperativa. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Carmen Cardinali es la nueva gobernadora de Isla de Pascua". Radio Cooperativa. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
|This article about a Chilean politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|