Pedro Roberto Silva Botelho
|Full name||Pedro Roberto Silva Botelho|
|Date of birth||14 December 1989|
|Place of birth||Salvador, Brazil|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Left back / Midfielder|
|Current club||Atlético Paranaense|
|2007–2009||→ Salamanca (loan)||36||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Celta (loan)||27||(1)|
|2010–2011||→ Cartagena (loan)||39||(4)|
|2011–2012||→ Rayo Vallecano (loan)||11||(1)|
|2012||→ Levante (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 November 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
He was bought by Arsenal before his 18th birthday but never appeared officially for the club, playing in Spain for the duration of his contract and being released in 2012.
Born in Salvador, Bahia, Botelho began playing professionally with Figueirense Futebol Clube. In July 2007 a deal was agreed with Premier League's Arsenal, which brought the player to the Emirates Stadium. However, he was immediately loaned out to UD Salamanca of Segunda División for the remainder of the season. This was because he needed a work permit to play in England.
In July 2008, Botelho returned to Arsenal for pre-season training before moving again to Salamanca in August, for another season-long loan. Due to differences with the Spanish club's coaching staff, his second spell was cut short.
On 23 July 2009, Botelho went on loan again and also in the Spanish second level, joining Celta de Vigo for the 2009–10 campaign. He helped the Galicians knock Villarreal CF out of the season's Copa del Rey, winning a late penalty in the second leg, which ended with a 1–0 away triumph (2–1 aggregate) in the round-of-16.
On 23 July 2010 Botelho returned to the Spanish second division, joining FC Cartagena on a season-long loan after an application for a work permit was denied. Another loan happened in the following campaign, as he made his La Liga debuts with Rayo Vallecano, first appearing in the competition on 28 August 2011 by starting as a left midfielder in a 1–1 away draw against Athletic Bilbao.
After an irregular spell in Madrid which also included personal issues, Botelho finished the campaign at fellow top-divisioner Levante UD, joining the team on 20 January 2012. On 23 July, after having failed to appeared officially for Arsenal, he returned to his country and joined Clube Atlético Paranaense on a permanent deal.
- "Arsenal move for South American duo". The Daily Mail. 20 July 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2007.
- Graeme Bailey (19 July 2007). "Gunners move for starlets". Sky Sports. Retrieved 19 July 2007.
- Jason Burt (20 July 2007). "Wenger swoops for 'Little Angel'". The Independent. Retrieved 20 July 2007.
- "El Arsenal cede a Pedro da Silva al Salamanca" [Arsenal loans Pedro da Silva to Salamanca] (in Spanish). Marca. 18 July 2007.
- "Celta land Gunners defender". Sky Sports. 23 July 2009.
- Paul Macdonald (2 January 2010). "Valverde's vacant side overcome by last minute spot kick". Goal.com.
- "El Cartagena consigue la cesión de Pedro Botelho" [Cartagena gets Pedro Botelho loan] (in Spanish). Marca. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "Solid return for Vallecano". ESPN Soccernet. 28 August 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "Botelho deja el Rayo por el Levante" [Botelho leaves Rayo for Levante] (in Spanish). Marca. 20 January 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "Pedro Botelho joins Atletico Paranaense". Arsenal F.C. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2012.