Pedro Rodríguez (cardinal)
|Created Cardinal||by Boniface VIII, 1302|
|Died||December 20, 1310
|Buried||St. Peter's Basilica or the Chapel of the Constable|
He was a canon of Burgos Cathedral and the chaplain of Cardinal Benedetto Caetani, who after his rise to the papacy as Pope Boniface VIII appointed Rodriguez Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Burgos in 1300. Boniface VIII then established him as Cardinal-bishop of Sabina in the papal consistory of 15 December 1302. At that time, Rodriguez also received the administration of San Juan and San Pablo(es).
Rodriguez and Nicola Boccasini were the only ones who remained with Pope Boniface during the outrage of Anagni that Guillaume de Nogaret, Guillaume de Plasian and Sciarra Colonna executed against the pope that year.
Rodriguez participated in the papal conclave of 1303 that proclaimed Pope Benedict XI, and that of 1304-1305, which elected Clement V. He served as a Papal legate in England arranging a peace between the kings Philip IV of France and Edward I of England, and as governor of Terni.
Death and Burial
However, the documentation of the Burgos Cathedral still has him listed as being buried there, in the chapel of San Pedro (now Chapel of the Constable(es)), where one can see his cenotaph; thus, some historians deny his cardinalship, claiming that the Cardinal and the Bishop of Burgos were two different people.
- Miranda, Salvador (2012-11-29). "(List of Cardinals appointed by) Pope Boniface VIII (1294-1303), Consistory of December 15, 1302 (V), Celebrated in Rome". The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church (Biographical Dictionary). Miami, FL, USA: Florida International University. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "The English mission of Cardinal Petrus Hispanus, the chronicle of Walter of Guisborough, and news from Castile at Carlisle (1307)". English Historical Review (Oxford University Press) 117 (472): 605–621. 2002. doi:10.1093/ehr/117.472.605. ISSN 0013-8266. OCLC 437441383 and 4642667887. (subscription required (. ))
- Eubel, Conrad (1913). Hierarchia catholica medii aevi, sive Summorum pontificum, S.R.E. cardinalium, ecclesiarum antistitum series ... e documentis tabularii praesertim vaticani collecta, digesta, edita [Catholic hierarchy, the middle ages, or the Pope, the Holy Roman Church cardinals, bishops, a series of churches ... documents from the Vatican collection, especially accountants, digested, published] (in Latin) 1. Monasterii: Sumptibus et typis librariae Regensbergianae. p. 13. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Cardella, Lorenzo (1793). Memorie storiche de' cardinali della santa Romana chiesa [Historical Memoirs de 'Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church] (in Italian) II. Rome: Pagliarini. p. 68. OCLC 678868775. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Moroni, Gaetano (1846). Dizionario di erudizione storico-ecclesiastica [Dictionary of historical and ecclesiastical scholarship] (in Italian). XXXVI. Venice: Tipografia Emiliana. p. 151. OCLC 604432042. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Tosti, Luigi (1846). Storia di Bonifazio VIII. e de' suoi tempi [History of Boniface VIII. and of his time] (in Italian) II. Monte Cassino: Abbey of Monte Cassino. pp. 191–192. OCLC 669344628. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- emmanuelgo (2006-10-22). "The entrance. The tomb of Bishop Don Pedro Rodriguez Quijada (1313) photo". emmanuelgo's Photo Galleries at pbase.com. Research Triangle Park, NC: PBase.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Ciacconius, Alphonsus (1677). Vitae, et res gestae pontificum romanorum et S.R.E. cardinalium [Of Life, and the exploits of the Popes and the Holy Roman Church cardinals] (in Latin) II. Rome: Romae : P. et A. De Rubeis. p. 337. OCLC 6451404. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Serrano, Luciano (2011) . El obispado de Burgos y Castilla primitiva, desde el siglo V al XIII [The Bishops of Burgos and Early Castile: from the 5th to the 13th centuries] (in Spanish) I. Valladolid, Spain: Maxtor, D.L. p. 394. ISBN 9788490010884. OCLC 796352803. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Flórez, Enrique (1771). España sagrada [Sacred Spain] (in Spanish) XXVI. Madrid: M.F. Rodriguez. pp. 338–344. OCLC 607497494. Retrieved 2013-11-23.