Perumade, Peerumed, Peerumade, Peermede
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Peermade is a hill station in the state of Kerala, India. It is high in the Western Ghats, 915 metres above sea level, and 85 km east of Kottayam on the way to Thekkady through Kanjirappally (One of the nearest City).
The landscape of Peermade includes spectacular waterfalls, open grass lands and pine forests. It was once the summer retreat of the Maharajas of Travancore. Tamil people are the most majority in peermade .
The area is very fertile and the area had until recently lush plantations of coffee, tea, cardamon, and coconut. The area, with a long history of spice growing, now concentrates on producing organic black pepper, white pepper, ginger and turmeric.
At a recent show spice growers from Peermade displayed samples of organically grown spices like cardamom, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg, mace, cloves, turmeric, ginger, vanilla beans, vanilla powder and herbs like oregano, sage, thyme and rosemary. Oils of thyme and rosemary were also displayed.
Mar Baselios Christian College of Engineering and Technology and Marian College are located at Kuttikanam in Peermade.
Com. E S Bijimol is the current MLA of peermade.
- http://old.kerala.gov.in/kercaljan06/p38-41.pdf A Heaven away from Heaven / George Thengummoottil / PRD, Government of Kerala
- http://www.theindia.info/peermade/ Story of Tea Plantation in Kerala / George Thengummoottil
- "A bitter brew in the high ranges". Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Mapping India's spice route from past to present". Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Organic Show - Peermede Development Board's stand". Archived from the original on 2006-10-15. Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- http://www.mbcpeermade.com Mar Baselios Christian College of Engineering and Technology website
- http://www.mariancollege.org Marian College Kuttikanam
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- The Story of Peermade by George Thengummoottil (ISBN: 9788192888606) http://www.theindia.info/peermade/
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peermade.|
- "Hartal total in Peerumade". The Hindu. 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2008-07-20.