Peg Leg (album)
|Studio album by Ron Carter|
|Length||~ 40 min's|
It was recorded in November 1977 and prominently features Carter on piccolo bass. Often carrying the melody the instrument is a focus of 3 of the albums 6 tracks, while fellow bass player Buster Williams performs the traditional role of the instrument on those tracks. The rhythm section is completed by piano and percussion (on all but 1 track), and guitar on 4 tracks. The standard jazz-ensemble is further augmented, on all 6 tracks, by woodwinds (see below).
Carter uses a piccolo bass tuned a fourth higher than a normal double bass (low to high: A-D-G-C).
- "Peg Leg" - 8:08
- "Sheila's Song (Hasta Luego, Mi Amiga)" - 6:14
- "Chapter XI" - 5:41
- "Epistrophy" (Monk) - 7:33
- "My Ship" (Weill, I. Gershwin) - 5:10
- "Patchouli" - 7:06
- All compositions by Ron Carter except as indicated; album produced by Ron Carter
- Recorded at Van Gelder Recording Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, November 16, 18, 21, 22 1977.
- Ron Carter: piccolo bass, bass, percussion
- Kenny Barron: piano
- Jay Berliner: guitar
- Buster Williams: bass (tracks 1, 3 and 4)
- Ben Riley: drums, percussion
Woodwinds arranged and conducted by Robert M Freedman:
- Jerry Dodgion: flute, piccolo flute, alto flute, clarinet
- George Marge: flute, piccolo flute, oboe, clarinet
- Walter Kane: flute, bassoon, clarinet
- Charles Russo: clarinet, bass clarinet