Pegging (sexual practice)
Pegging is a sexual practice in which a woman performs anal sex on a man by penetrating the man's anus with a strap-on dildo. The neologism "pegging" was popularized when it became the winning entry in a contest in Dan Savage's "Savage Love" sex advice column, held after an observation was made that there was no common name for the act.
In terms of physical pleasure, a woman's genitals may get direct stimulation from the base of the dildo, or in the case of a double-ended dildo, from vaginal (or internal) penetration. A woman can use a secondary vibrator, between the dildo and her genitals, to get pleasure from pegging. Men may find stimulation of the anus, rectum, and adjacent organs enjoyable. During anal sex, male pleasure can be particularly derived from the prostate, which can lead to an orgasm and ejaculation. Some men enjoy masturbating (or being manually stimulated) during pegging.
Advice columnist Dan Savage wrote that he believes all men should try pegging at least once, as it may introduce them to a new enjoyable sexual activity and illuminate them to the receiver's perspective in sex.
A few instructional movies and books have emerged in recent years, including Bend Over Boyfriend (1998), co-produced by Fatale Media, Inc., and created and directed by Shar Rednour and Jackie Strano, SIR Video Movies co-founders. Bend Over Boyfriend originally inspired Dan Savage to call the act 'BOB' but his readers subsequently voted on the winning term, pegging.
American pornographic film director and sex educator Tristan Taormino released an instructional pegging movie in 2009 by Vivid Entertainment Studio, Tristan Taormino's Expert Guide to Anal Pleasure for Men, featuring a detailed explanation about male anal pleasure and strap-on dildo sex. In it, she teaches a workshop with instructions and skills for safe and pleasurable female on male anal sex. There are three scenes, in which pairs of pornographic actors explore different sexual devices and positions for pegging.
As an accomplished author of numerous sex guides and informational books on various sexual taboos, Violet Blue wrote and released The Adventurous Couple's Guide to Strap-On Sex in 2007.
Pegging has recently been featured in a number of pornographic movies. The first pegging scene (long before the term was developed) appears to have been in the non-pornographic 1970 film Myra Breckinridge, based on the novel of the same name by Gore Vidal, although it was not explicit. The first explicit pegging scene is believed to have been in the 1975 pornographic film The Opening of Misty Beethoven.
Female-to-male strap-on pornography became a popular sub-genre in the United States in the early 21st century, with a number of studios producing dedicated series about it. Pegging films include Strap It On (black women on white men), Babes Balling Boys (with sixteen editions), Strap Attack, Strap-on Sirenz, Strap-on Chicks, Boss Bitches (with over two dozen editions), various movies produced by LEDA Studios, and San Francisco-based Men In Pain. Several hundred exclusively pegging films were produced, as well as twice as many bisexual and straight films with strap-on scenes.
Well-known female porn stars who expressed their pleasure in pegging their male partners include Taylor Wane, Debi Diamond, Brittany Andrews, and Monique Covét. When questioned about her particular kink Covét replied, "If we women have to take it from behind, then why not a man?"
In popular culture
- There is a depiction of pegging in the William S. Burroughs 1959 novel Naked Lunch. The dildo used in the scene is called a Steely Dan III, and is the source from which the musical group Steely Dan takes its name.
- The 1970 film Myra Breckinridge features Raquel Welch pegging an unwilling man.
- 1976's The Opening of Misty Beethoven
- The 1997 film Fall features one scene of pegging between Eric Schaeffer and Amanda de Cadenet.
- Pegging was featured in the 2005 series of the UK comedy Peep Show (2005).
- In the July 2005 Episode of Entourage, Season 2, group pegging is used as a bribe against a blog writer.
- It was featured in the television show Weeds, during the episode "Crush Girl Love Panic" (2006).
- Actor Sebastien Roberts gets pegged by actress Lauren Lee Smith in the thriller One Way before she kills him (2006).
- In the January 2007 pilot episode of Dirt, Lucy Spiller (Courteney Cox) blackmails Prince Tyreese (Rick Fox) with photographs of him being pegged by a prostitute.
- The September 2007 film YPF features a storyline in which a couple who feel their lovemaking has become boring over time, attempt to spice up their sex by trying pegging.
- The theatre company Pack of Others have an entire theatrical performance devoted to "spreading the word about the pleasures of prostate stimulation and strap-on sex". The show has toured nationally and won Best Comedy at the 2008 San Francisco Fringe Festival.
- The 2008 film Zack and Miri Make a Porno features pegging between characters played by Traci Lords and Ricky Mabe. In a deleted scene in the film, Mabe's character asks Lords's character if it was the first time she pegged someone. Lords responded that it was not, but it was the first time someone requested that she put a condom on the dildo.
- In an early 2000s episode of the HBO series, Arli$$, Kirby, one of the Arliss Michaels' associates, is unknowingly pegged from behind by a prostitute in his hotel room while he is setting up a camera to film their sexual encounter.
- Dan Savage was the guest on The Colbert Report on November 29, 2010. During the interview Savage educated host Stephen Colbert on the practice of pegging.
- It was featured in the January 2011 premier episode of Shameless.
- The May 2011 film Everything Must Go features a scene when Will Ferrell's character Nick Halsey sees a couple pegging through the window.
- In the November 2011 French movie On ne choisit pas sa famille, César Borgnoli, alias Christian Clavier, is pegged by Kim alias Muriel Robin.
- In the episode Fugitivus of TV series of Spartacus: Vengeance pegging was shown to occur in a brothel between a man and prostitute.
- In Chapter 15 of Fifty Shades of Grey, Christian Grey explains that he has been pegged by Mrs. Robinson.
- In November 2014, an unidentified British man had to get his girlfriend's strap-on surgically removed from his rectum after it got stuck during pegging, making international headlines. A video later surfaced showing the doctors laughing over the embarrassing incident and stopping mid-way through removing it in order to take photos on their personal cell phones.
- These three links chronicle how the term pegging came into usage.
- "The male hot spot — Massaging the prostate". Go Ask Alice!. 2002-09-27 (Last Updated/Reviewed on 2008-03-28). Retrieved October 2, 2011. Check date values in:
- Sun, Chyng; Bridges, Ana; Wosnitzer, Robert; Scharrer, Erica; Liberman, Rachael (September 2008). "A Comparison of Male and Female Directors in Popular Pornography". Psychology of Women Quarterly 32 (3): 312–325. doi:10.1111/j.1471-6402.2008.00439.x.
- Nault, Curran (Summer 2010). "Bend Over Boyfriend to Take it Like a Man: pegging pornography and the queer representation of straight sex". Jump Cut (52).
- Not just another Barbie - XpatLoop.com - Budapest sun archive
- Sweet, Brian (2000). Steely Dan: Reelin' in the Years. Omnibus Press. p. 42. ISBN 0-7119-8279-1.
- Official Steely Dan website FAQ
- "Episode One: Mugging (11 November 2005)". Channel 4. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- "Peg-Ass-Us". Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Fringe felicitations: Best of winners, encores announced
- Dan Savage - The Colbert Report (Television production). Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- Guy in hospital after getting girlfriend’s strap-on stuck up his bum Metro (11/04/2014)
- Violet Blue: The Adventurous Couple's Guide to Strap-On Sex, Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 1-57344-278-X
- Tristan Taormino: The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women, (Cleis Press, 1997/2006) ISBN 1-57344-028-0
Media related to Pegging at Wikimedia Commons